PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if Injection Pump is going

midnightrumbler
03-31-2010, 18:24
I had a shop tell me that my Injection Pump needs to be rebuilt. Coming from the same shop that said I had no DTC's when my SES light was burnt out.

The problem with the truck is that I am getting a sort of jerking/bucking sensation around 60-100 km/h and gets worse when I put the cruise control on. The truck does not stall, it just feels as if there is lack of fuel which from the readings on my vac gauge this is not the case.

I have replaced the fuel tank not concerning this issue, redone some fuel lines, put in a new fuel filter and bled the lines. Before I purchased the truck a new OEM PMD was installed 1.5 months ago that has maybe 200 miles on it which was put back in the factory location. New air filter isntalled and I have cleaned up all grounds and checked my catalytic which is good.

I connected a pressure gauge to the WIF drain and I am seeing 6-7 psi at idle and 2-3 psi at hard acceleration. When the jerking sensation occurs, it does not effect the fuel pressure.

I have a turbomaster installed and I am getting 10lbs of boost. Other than that I am at a loss here. I do not want to toss $1200.00 for a new injection pump if I really do not need one.

I am not getting any DTC's at this time nor is the SES light on

Is it possible that the Optical Sensor is causing this issue? I am going to try and diconnect the filter and see if this helps.

The stumbling sensation is not always present when I take the truck for a test run. Just seems to come and go

The truck does over rev sometimes when I have had it out. say if I stomp on the throttle and let off, it will take a second or two after my foot is off the throttle for the rpm's to come down as if my foot were still on the pedal. I did get a dtc 25 about 2 weeks ago and have since cleared that code with no other dtc's being set to date including the dtc 25 setting resetting. Currently there are no codes stored.

Also, when I pop to oil fill cap off, I can hear a pinging sound coming from this location. Could this be an indication with the over reving and pinging sound that the armature could be broken? As I said, It does not happen all the time, just periodically. I have not had the truck out for a good long drive yet as it is still under construction and not on the road. I have been banging her on the back roads here getting up to 110 and keeping her in the 80-100 kmh range for some distances to see if there are any issues. This is when I am experiencing the bucking/stumbling issue.

I found a guy selling a rebuilt injector pump with FSD for $300.00. That sounds almost too good to be true but he states he has two of these and no longer has the trucks they were for.

I would hate to purchase a rebuilt injection pump and spend the time putting it in and have the same problems. Even at that, the FSD is worth just as much as the injection pump.

I guess I will try and relocate the 1.5 month old PMD to a cooler location and see if this helps at all.

Anyone in the Toronto area have a spare PMD/FSD I could try out?????

More Power
04-01-2010, 16:01
You're right to try a replacement PMD. I'd also eliminate a potentially plugged fuel filter, dead lift pump, air in the fuel supply lines, or a problem with wiring/connectors before replacing the injection pump. Sometimes the pump is the cause, but it should be the last thing replaced - not the first. The IP has been replaced far too many times through the years, when some other less expensive or easier to replace part was the actual cause of the problem.

Jim

Artworks
04-02-2010, 09:26
Check the wiring to the PMD / FSD. I had couple of extension harness that were / went bad ( edam) Best bet, new Dipaco / cooler & remote harness ( PMD Cable .com)
Check vacum selonoid's & lines. Bad grounds & voltage. If you have wiring / battery problems you may not be getting enough to energize the FSD. The filter harness may also be a problem, I ended up diconnecting mine couple years ago.

midnightrumbler
04-02-2010, 15:35
Fuel filter has been replaced even with purchasing a brand new one, I still put in a brand new one after that new one. The PMD was just replaced 1.5 months ago and I just cleaned up the ground when I did all other grounds.

Vacuum has been totally deleted as this is an "F" series truck without EGR and i am running a TurboMaster.

By filter harness, you you mean the Optical Sensor Harness?

Today while punching through the truck, I got an SES light on and came home to retrieve the code.

I am getting a DTC - 36 Injection Pulse Width Error (Time Long).

JohnC
04-03-2010, 07:37
I am getting a DTC - 36 Injection Pulse Width Error (Time Long).

That's a pump code. The only suggestion I have is to run a very heavy dose of a good fuel conditioner and see if it improves at all. Otherwise, if you feel the guy with the $300 pumps is on the up and up, that may be the best way to go.