PDA

View Full Version : Block Heater advice - which is preferred?

BlueSky94
12-26-2004, 18:46
I'm still learning the nuances of my 6.5.
-Is it better to plug her in an leave it on overnight?
-or-
-Put it on a timer to cycle on for an hour - off for 30 min and one again?
-or-
-Use the timer, let her freeze up until about 4 hours before crank up?

It is in the teens here at night in the winter. I've searched and read the posts on block heaters but really did not get a clear understanding on the best way to use it. I'm less concerned about the electricity than I am about damaging or burning something out prematurely.

Thanks!

DennisG01
12-26-2004, 19:17
I've had good luck with the 4-hour scenario. From what I've learned here on TDP, I think you'll find most would agree that would be sufficient - without running the heater for longer than is neccesary. Where 'bouts in PA are you?

DeezlStinson
12-26-2004, 20:15
Howdy,

Here's what I do when it's cold outside. I use a timer set at 2-3 hrs before I want to go somewhere. I connect the installed block heater AND a 1000w space heater to it.

2-3 hours seems to be enough to heat the block enough to start easily.

It's also enough to heat the inside using the space heater on medium to a comfotable level and clear any snow or frost/ice from the windshield and side windows.

E N S U R E THE SPACE HEATER IS NOT NEAR ANYTHING COMBUSTABLE!!!!

I just set it in the middle of the floor on the driver side facing front. Medium (about the 750w level) is more than adequate!

Regards,

Rick

BlueSky94
12-27-2004, 02:10
Dennis G., I'm in Bulter.

Thanks for the information guys.

Dvldog 8793
12-27-2004, 05:18
Howdy
I am in northern Minnesota, I get regular temps in -20* and sometimes into -40*. I use a freeze plug block heater, an oil pan heat patch, and an on board smart battery charger. This system is hooked up to a 6 hour timer becuase I'm never sure exactly when in the morning I will be leaving. Two days ago it was -28* and when I went out to start my truck the oil was at 108* and she popped off like it was summer time.
If you look at oil pan patch heaters make sure you get the proper size as one that is too large will boil the oil in the pan.
L8r
Conley Janssen

Kennedy
12-27-2004, 06:00
I am a strong advocate of the oil pan heaters also. They don't have as much effect on combustion as a block heater does, but the warm pan helps things spin beter, AND makes sure the vitals are lubricated. A block heater does little or nothing for the bottom end. You can also get away with a 250w heater. I run the pan heaters longer (about 4-6hrs) or all night if it is really cold. If it is really nasty, I'kll run the block heater for a couple of hours also.

I must confess though that now with the second building added for the dyno, my trucks now sit in 62

markrinker
12-27-2004, 08:01
I agree with the thoughts above, especially the onboard battery chargers to keep cranking speeds up in cold weather. Old starters spin too slow -invest in a new one if you have starting problems - (after ruling out/replacing weak batteries, bad cables/connections, bad glow plugs and faulty glow controllers, of course.)

Another thought: if you MUST park outside, select a place that is out of the wind, and faces the midday sun. Wind depletes the + effect of your heaters.

Most of my snow removal equipment is parked on the south side of a large industrial building, radiators facing the southern sun for this reason. On a sunny day, the trucks start much easier - regardless of ambient temps. Another plus is the cabs are warmer smile.gif

However, nothing works like a well engineered glow system, combined with direct injection. My S185 (turbocharged Kubota) Bobcats will start with no heat buried in a snowdrift at any Minnesota temperature. The onboard computer senses block temps and varies the initial glow cycle from as little as 5 seconds (summer) to as much as 29 seconds (winter).

Must be some super durable glow plugs!!!

[ 12-27-2004, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

JohnC
12-28-2004, 14:09
If all you have to deal with is temps in the teens, I wouldn't even bother! Worst case an hour or so right before you go. I never bother to plug it in unless it's going to be zero or below. YMMV