PDA

View Full Version : Another transfer case question

pete m
03-26-2010, 17:37
Is a 2006 2500HD LBZ truck with the 6 spd. still with the same case wear-thru issue that the early trucks had?. Mine is in the shop now, was leaking fluid, thought it was the wear thru issue, can't find anything anywhere, the rear seal on the output is where the oil is leaking from, have a new seal ordered from GM with the boot, not cheap!, will have installed on Monday, hope this fixes it.

DmaxMaverick
03-26-2010, 19:24
Different issues, completely. The rear output shaft seal has been an infrequent issue on all 4x4's of all brands throughout the years, and has nothing to do with the wear-through. If you have a wear-through, it won't leak at the output seal (no fluid at that level to leak). In any case, it should be covered by your powertrain warranty, if you have that.

pete m
03-27-2010, 07:19
I know they are different issues, I was just wondering if the 2006 had the wear thru problem too. In my case, there is no evidence of the wear thru, as the entire case is dry, there is a LOT of ATF coming out the rear oil seal, hitting the yolk and spraying under the truck. I have to have the drive shaft removed, both of them, to replace the carrier bearing on the rear that is bad, since the shafts wll be out, I want to replace the oil seal and fix that too. I have had a 2002 truck lose a transfer case due to the wear thru, and because of that I have checked all my trucks regularly since then, don't remember reading about anyone with a 2006 experiencing the wear thru, just curious if I need to continue to wait for that to happen or not, thank you.

DmaxMaverick
03-27-2010, 09:00
I have not heard of any 2006 models with the issue. Supposedly, the wear-through was resolved about the 2004-2005 M/Y. I haven't heard of any 2005's with it, either.

Depending on how bad the carrier bearing is, it can cause output seal leakage and failure. If the vibration is extreme, it will cause the yoke to wobble within the seal, allowing it to leak. Eventually, if left alone, can cause other TC failures (bearing failure, case distortion/cracking, gear wear/breakage, spline wear, etc.). The rear seal is easy enough and inexpensive to replace, so it's always advised to replace if it leaks, regardless of the cause.