PDA

View Full Version : my 6.5 build

Lundstedt
03-15-2010, 11:57
couple questions for those who have done swaps/builds, i am dropping my 6.5 from the 94 p/u to the the 93 burban that was gas. are the interior harness the same or do i need to swap those too?

the gas fuel pump in tank... will it work for lift pump as its already in the tank why not try? or am i ahead to just drop the tank or can i do an aftermarket like fass system? i have always disliked the factory pump but have not looked much into replacing it unitl now that i have to do something.

ps- i will be flowing the injector nozzles i got for $9 this week and will let you know how they do

85-m1028
03-15-2010, 19:18
Where to start? well start at the back, the filler for the fuel tank is different "open mouth diesel vs. closed flap for the gasser" You could probably swap just the filler with the cap just make make rubber hose section is the same diameter. You'll need to cap off the line out of the fuel tank pickup that is for the evap canister and ditch the in tank pump.

Reusing the gasser fuel pump "in tank" probably not a good idea fuel pumps are rated either diesel or gas. The diesel pump is about 5-7lbs of pressure vs. 50-60lbs on the gasser, it might make the injection pump timing all screwy. The diesel inline lift pump could be spliced into the hard line on the frame rail with some simple tools and fittings.

The 94 engine is the first generation of computer controlled fuel injection and you would need to salvage all the PCM and trans wiring to properly integrate the gutted gasser.

I could think of a couple of other options if both transmissions were 4l80e's This would involve making the 93 trans work with the diesel and convert the whole set up to mechanical injection and use the 93 trans computer.

Lundstedt
03-18-2010, 09:22
Where to start? well start at the back, the filler for the fuel tank is different "open mouth diesel vs. closed flap for the gasser" You could probably swap just the filler with the cap just make make rubber hose section is the same diameter. You'll need to cap off the line out of the fuel tank pickup that is for the evap canister and ditch the in tank pump.

Reusing the gasser fuel pump "in tank" probably not a good idea fuel pumps are rated either diesel or gas. The diesel pump is about 5-7lbs of pressure vs. 50-60lbs on the gasser, it might make the injection pump timing all screwy. The diesel inline lift pump could be spliced into the hard line on the frame rail with some simple tools and fittings.

The 94 engine is the first generation of computer controlled fuel injection and you would need to salvage all the PCM and trans wiring to properly integrate the gutted gasser.

I could think of a couple of other options if both transmissions were 4l80e's This would involve making the 93 trans work with the diesel and convert the whole set up to mechanical injection and use the 93 trans computer.

ok no offense but i was looking for answers not a bunch of guess work, first off tbi in 93 is only 14lbs of fuel pressure its not until multiport that pressures climb that high.
second i have the trans out of my pickup and it has been built by me already so i know it will take more than what i can get out of a 6.5 and that being said you would need the the "gasser" trans would not work properly for several reasons including the torque converter and the tcm witch with out a 93 or older diesel i would not have.

i am not just asking aimless questions i can figure it all out i thought maybe someone knew and could in turn save me some time.