PDA

View Full Version : Wiring in the Steering column

Big Eric
03-13-2010, 20:14
On my 2001 2500HD, my wife reported some weird issues going on with the lights and the horn. She said it would beep when she'd switch from high beam to low beam, and it had even stuck "on" on her once blaring for several miles. She claims the lights would flicker on her too. When she'd get home, it never did any of these things. I'd take it out and drive it and it would work perfectly. Finally, I went for a ride with her tonight just to see it for myself. Sure enough, it started acting up. I was thinking maybe the BCM was going haywire, but why only when she drives it? The only thing I could think of was the steering column. I'm a big man and drive with the column up. She's a small lady and drives with it down. No wonder it never happened when she came home. She always puts the tilt up when she gets out. If we move the tilt up and down while driving, the lights flicker and the horn will honk. It's going to be looked at Thursday. The mechanic I contacted says that he's seen this happen before on these trucks. I've never had this happen before on anything that I've owned. I'm just hoping it's an easy and inexpensive fix, and that the truck doesn't catch fire between now and then, but then again, you'd think a fuse would blow first, wouldn't you? Has anyone else had this happen on their 2500HD?

DickWells
03-13-2010, 21:21
Well, not exactly, but close. Lately, my wipers have decided to stay on solid on the low speed/steady setting. Then, I got them back to normal by pressing the set cruise button on the end of the stalk! Now, for the last week, they've worked perfectly. Go figure. Little gremlins in there somewhere!

DmaxMaverick
03-14-2010, 10:04
Probably the multi-function switch in the column. The aren't a common failure, but do on occasion. The headlamp Hi/Lo isn't controlled by the BCM (the daylight sensor relay is, but has nothing to do with the Hi/Lo, and the DRL's are separate lamps and a separate circuit). You can test this by disabling the BCM relay control. Press the dome override button 4 times until you hear a chime. Then, turn on the headlamps manually (turn the knob) and try again.

Big Eric
03-22-2010, 19:37
It appears to be in the multi-function switch as you suggested. It's probably not the switch, technically, but in the wiring looms. The multi-function switch comes with all new looms. Boy, they don't give those away either. Almost $300 for one. I see that there are after-market ones for about $100. That's what we're going to try. Wondering if anyone has used an after-market switch and what sort of luck they've had. I'm hoping this isn't a "get what you pay for" sort of deal.

DmaxMaverick
03-22-2010, 22:12
I don't know (about the aftermarket quality). I know of only a few having to be replaced, as I said, not a common failure. So far, I've seen no difference between the gold OEM's and the aftermarkets. It's hard to say...Your truck is nearly 10 years old (as is mine).