PDA

View Full Version : ds4 system round 2 fail!

85-m1028
03-12-2010, 21:50
Well I got a new PMD reinstalled the ds4 injection pump got everything connected.

check list of good
2 fresh batteries
new lift pump bled out good pressure
fuel shutoff solenoid
new pmd
go pedal

still no fuel to the injectors! so its either the injection pump itself or the computer.

"note" ECU did supply voltage to shut off solenoid and glow plug controller I did not really check anywhere else in the harness

"mental note" the flange on the injection pump was not easy to turn. There was alot of resistance like turning a really sticky door knob. when it did turn the movement was jumpy not smooth at all. I don't know what the norm is.

I pulled all the glowplugs and gave it about 6 thirty second cranking sessions. I really would like the DS system to work for me because of the transmission and smoothness. It sounds funny but making it a mechanical set up would be much more of a hasle! throttle bracket, wastegate, trans controller, oil pressure sender..

PS. this is for my Jimmy project in my sig line..

Anyone got a good used ds4 pump they want to get rid of cheap?? :)

heres is my original thread first attempt http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=34557&highlight=ds4+fuel+injectors

rogers
03-12-2010, 22:45
Where is the pmd mounted? Remotely? Are you still only using one battery? If the pmd is mounted remotely check the extension harness. Also, check the black ground from the pmd pump harness (torx screw to the top of the pump). If you are still using only one battery check the voltage to the shut off solenoid, iirc the solenoid wont open with less than ~11.5v. During cranking the voltage can drop below that point at the pump.

85-m1028
03-12-2010, 23:13
2 fresh batteries, pulled out the glow plugs. I just pluged the pmd into the factory harness "no extension" and layed it on the intake manifold with cooler clamped to it. This was just see if it would give me fuel. I would make it tidy and permanent if it did.

I did pull the #5 resistor out of the old pmd and installed it in the new.

JohnC
03-13-2010, 09:08
Check it for codes.

85-m1028
03-13-2010, 10:12
I have a small 3 wire plug on the side there I just need to figure out how to wire it to my obd code scanner. 1 black wire, one red "showed hot 12v" and 1 blue "info wire"

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q218/85-m1028/dieselstuff024.jpg

rogers
03-13-2010, 10:57
Could the pump have some internal rust or corrosion preventing the plungers from traveling their normal path? Would some penetrating type lubricant run through it help free the sticky parts? One last thought, since it is an engine from a 24v hummer would the shut-off solenoid or other electrical parts need 24v to work?

85-m1028
03-13-2010, 13:04
thats a good point on the sticky internals, this engine did sit up in a loft for over 10yrs.

I thought all the civilian H-1 were 12v?

one of my loose "doesn't have a home" wires goes to pin #14 on the blue connector block for the computer. I was told this is the for the fuel temp sender. does this signal come from the factory fuel filter??

rogers
03-15-2010, 09:58
The fuel temp sensor is in the injector pump itself. The only blue wire I can see that goes to the injection pump is to the fuel shut-off.

85-m1028
03-15-2010, 18:46
ok I got a wiring diagram today and it looks like pin c14 is for the check engine light. That makes sense to me since it was in the bundle with the glow plug wait light, the wires that go to the speedo and the wire that comes from the oil pressure sending unit in the valley.

Call it the dash bundle! The question is now does the PCM send the voltage to the "check engine" light from this pin or does it ground it?

I now have all wires accounted for, 3 power, 1 relay hot "I'll use for the lift pump relay" and the dash bundle. Check engine, wait, oil pressure and speedo..

I went to the parts yard today today to look for a OBD2 connector block to wire up so I can see if I'm getting any codes. The one I got was off a 96 and didn't fit my scan tool connection. I guess it was a OBD1 "more of a rectangle and not a trapezoid shape. I should have known, for some reason I thought it would fit OBD1??

If I had a bad computer would my scan tool tell me that? If I can eliminate the PCM as a possible cause then that would leave the injection pump.

85-m1028
04-03-2010, 18:27
another update! I swapped the computer from the H-1 engine into the pickup truck "see signature" started the truck up and drove it around the block. so I know the computer is good!

That narrows it down to the injection pump, ops or crank sensor right??