PDA

View Full Version : 01 LB7 trans compatability w/ 04.5 LLY truck

badburban
03-11-2010, 11:11
I tried looking for the answer on this, couldnt find it. I have an 04.5 LLY truck w/ ~220k miles, I've limped 5th gear more times then I care to admit (5 times) and Im noticing starting to get Converter Clutch slip while cruising up to ~1.3% while cruising on the hway unloaded is doable if climbing a big hill. Basically I always leave my Edge on Level 0 and when i do bump it up I lock out 5th and only use it for a short duration then turn it back down.

As this is my only vehicle, Im starting to get a little concernicous about the trans, found a lead on a 01 LB7 trans w/ 10k on a rebuild for $500 so while Id love to just build mine, financially its just not an option, so I thought I could cough up the coin for this one and then when I can afford it I could rebuild my trans.

Is the the early LB7 Allison swappable into my truck. I know Ill have to put my TCM on the trans, but thats easy enough.

Thanks

Josh

DmaxMaverick
03-11-2010, 12:05
The tranny has been updated several times between the years you are looking at. You will, at least, have to swap the valve body and electronic connections (internally and externally), perhaps more. The torque converter should be matched with the year of the truck (sounds like you'll need one, anyway). Don't sweat the TCM. It's under the hood, not attached to the tranny. Your original TCM will have to be used, as the 2001 won't "talk" to the PCM (2003+ electronics/electrics are NOT backward compatible with 2001-02). Essentially, you'll have to "upgrade" an earlier tranny to your truck's year model. In the end, probably more hassle than it's worth. It may not be practical, or even possible, but likely more headache and expense than just doing it right.

At this time, it sounds like you need a friction hardware replacement (minor overhaul). The parts to do this aren't too expensive (depends on how "upgraded" you want to go), and you can do it yourself to save most of the overhaul expense, if you are capable. They aren't too difficult, and good manuals are available. Very time consuming, though.

THEFERMANATOR
03-11-2010, 13:16
The tranny has been updated several times between the years you are looking at. You will, at least, have to swap the valve body and electronic connections (internally and externally), perhaps more. The torque converter should be matched with the year of the truck (sounds like you'll need one, anyway)The year of the truck doesn't really matter about which conveter to use so much as the stall. Don't sweat the TCM. It's under the hood, not attached to the tranny. Your original TCM will have to be used, as the 2001 won't "talk" to the PCM (2003+ electronics/electrics are NOT backward compatible with 2001-02)ALL 5 speed TCM's are the same and interchangeable except for a very limited number of very early 01 TCM's. Essentially, you'll have to "upgrade" an earlier tranny to your truck's year model. In the end, probably more hassle than it's worth. It may not be practical, or even possible, but likely more headache and expense than just doing it right.

At this time, it sounds like you need a friction hardware replacement (minor overhaul). The parts to do this aren't too expensive (depends on how "upgraded" you want to go), and you can do it yourself to save most of the overhaul expense, if you are capable. They aren't too difficult, and good manuals are available. Very time consuming, though.

The swap for an 01 into an 04.5 is not a direct swap. Unless you have a TCM with an earlier operating system in it, then you will have to swap the valve body and the internal harness to match. Also the bellhousing is different from 01 to mid 03, midway through 03 they went to larger cooler line ports coming out of the bellhousing engine adapter.There adapters to put alate model tranny into an early truck, but not vice versa. And yes there were several improvements made internally to the ALLISON mid year of 03 as well, and 04+ have the G solonoid in the valve body(only 04.5+ LLy's use it though). Also the NSBU switch will be different, but I believe the mounts are the same so you can just swap the switch. All in all you are better off to build yours or find one from an 04-05 so it's plug and play.