PDA

View Full Version : Emissions Woes

turbovair
02-07-2005, 11:05
Just failed emissions testing here in Phoenix. Max opacity limit for my truck (VIN F)is 40.0 and I scored 42.5.
I have meticulously maintained this truck since purchase. The last time it failed,(2001) the turbo vacuum actuator had died(had no gauges at the time)Got that fixed and it passed.
However, now the truck has 127,000 with original fuel injectors and a pump that has about 30,000 on it and NO PMD problems.Truck runs good with some rough starting at temps below 40F, but smoothes out with only moderate white smoke.
Trying to develop an action plan to get truck to pass.
I'm thinking:
1.Replace soot trap/converter to prevent accumulation from fouling test(stock exhaust)
2.Replace injectors with stock NEW(reset timing)
3. Add boost fooler where inspectors cannot locate(only had about 2 PSI during test)
3.Replace pump(no codes are set currently)and reset timing

Not all at once of course.....one step at a time

Sound like a plan?

Please feel free to chime in with any suggestions!
Thanx, TVair

JohnC
02-07-2005, 14:01
What is the nature of the test? If it's a "snap" test then boost fooler will do no good. The engine can't develop a significant amount of boost without a load. First, blow the carp out of the converter with a couple of full throttle runs. And make sure your intake filter is clean. Often when they fail a snap test you can get by if you come on the throttle a little slower, allowing the fuel to come in slower. 40% is a lot of smoke. The time I had my '93 tested (no electronics, no increased boost and no converter) it was immeasurable... If all else fails start looking at the pump and injectors...

turbovair
02-07-2005, 15:09
The test goes something like this:
1.Full underhood and underbody inspection for "goodies and modifications"
2. Tailpipe OD measured and input into test computer
3. Optical sensor installed into tailpipe
(Grit teeth now)
4.Engine started and run full-throttle up against the governor unloaded(3400 RPM) for about 15 seconds
5.Throttle released and engine returns to idle for 20 seconds
(steps 4 and 5 repeated 3 times each)
6. Official testing begins with steps 4 and 5 performed 3 times for official readings
A total of 6 snap tests performed, unless the test gear is not operating properly, and then you may have to do it 12 times(happened to me last year)

patrick m.
02-07-2005, 15:54
i dont think i want my eng run up to the gov in neutral.
(not at nearly 200k miles anyway) :eek:

turbovair
02-07-2005, 19:48
I hate it. Thats not the way I drive.Cant be good for the engine.

Shuck
02-07-2005, 23:56
Well, you have convinced me never to move to Phoenix. Not only does the government not have the right to be looking under my hood to tell me what I can do to my truck that I OWN, they don't have the right to rod the sh*t out of my truck either.

Sounds like the tree-huggers had a little too much influence in congress down there if you ask me.

turbovair
02-08-2005, 07:02
Its funny, the outfit they use to perform the emissions test is based on the east coast somewhere.They emission test bikes, too.
On my wifes 96 Merc, you pay $27 for them to connect to your diagnostic port, check for codes without running the engine. No codes..you pass. Im starting to believe that there is an underlying force trying to discourage diesel ownership nation wide. $2.20 a gallon for diesel?PUULEESE!

Hubert
02-08-2005, 09:20
I would cringe at reving the motor like that too. Do they understand there is no "hard" or real governor or rev limiter on the 6.5. Unlike some trucks that you can pretty safely just pedal down and hold it to the floor. It will "run out of RPM's " but its different than an actual rev limiter.

Do you run any additives in the fuel if so which one?

I have tried a few some actually increase smoke some actually help and reduce smoke. Most all say they reduce emissions.

My $0.02 Lucas seems to help reduce smoke for me. Power Service increased smoke expecially if I added too much. Others vary. Try a few and see what works best for you. If all you need to gain is a few points for now I would try an additive and cheapest free flowing paper element filter or a clean foam aftermarket brand AFE or K&N. You can always go back to what ever you normally use after the test. And a fresh oil change will help a little too.

But having commented on running out of rpm's earlier I don't know if some really hot fuel will over rev the pump/motor. And it sure makes a big big difference in actual pedal depression speed for my truck as to the amount of smoke. I can blow diesel puffs or not depends on how's beside me at the light.

David Brady
02-08-2005, 13:40
I'd install a brand new air filter and make sure you're warmed up. Sounds like a bad test cycle. It seems unusual that CA is easier than AZ on this. Can you get another site with a better operator to test?

diesel joe
02-08-2005, 21:41
I have tested emissions for the state agency I work for for the last 5 years,and we are never required to hold the throttle wide open for 15 seconds. A "snap test" is just that. Floor the throttle from idle to wide open, and maybe hold it there 1-2 seconds and then let off. You are measuring opacity when engine is under load and not at free float at wide open throttle. Almost all non-electronic injection pump engines will fail when the pump governor is being bumped wide open and held there.
Try a different emissions testing station and ask to see the proper procedure to test this engine. Most of these engines test at 5 to 8 percent. Also do as a previous member suggested and do a few full throttle runs just before you hit the station. Hope this helps.

rjwest
02-09-2005, 04:52
I am sorry I read this post, ruined my day....

I HATE GREEN PIECE, DAM'D bunch of communists

THANK GOD for Gov. Bush of Florida, Told EPA to scr**w of, cancelled ALL polution testing...

rjschoolcraft
02-09-2005, 05:42
I'm with you. It's time we take this country back from screw ball tree huggers.! Rise up America! :cool:

DBlake
02-09-2005, 07:11
California (I think) and New Mexico do not test Diesels. Only Arizona and then only in Maricopa (Phoenix) and Pima (Tucson) counties. Part of Pinal, east of Phoenix may also be in the program. My stepbrother use to register his Diesel at my place in Navajo county to avoid this. Sounds like its time to move to the Rim country!

Docfranco
02-09-2005, 07:36
I live in California and don

turbovair
02-09-2005, 10:03
Just ordered a set of 8 injectors and the install kit from JK. I know what I'll be doing this weekend. I need a 36 MM socket?

rjschoolcraft
02-09-2005, 11:09
The socket for the injectors is 30 mm.

patrick m.
02-09-2005, 15:37
This is no political site........but it sure is good to see more and more conservative opinions :cool:

S\W Off Road
02-09-2005, 19:20
I have had no problem passing. When they ask me to floor it I only go to 3000 rpms each time. I don't have a cat, removed itwhen I put the larger exhaust on.

turbovair
02-10-2005, 07:00
SW, Which testing station do you use? Do you put a spacer block under your pedal?

MTTwister
02-10-2005, 14:48
turbovair - I gather that you still have a CAT in place. I have been thinking that this would be the cae if so - the CAT gathering up all that soot, then puking it out during the full stress test.

Did you get to do the accelerator pedal work yourself? Can you? I read you need to roll into it, not just stab it - lets the Turbo catch up(?) I believe.

Eventually I'll be in Phoenix area, so I'll be following this thread, and the best place to pass inspection without having to scrape up the remains when they get done.

How many old rusting smoke puking pieces of junk are running around, grandfathered in? Or just on the road.

turbovair
02-10-2005, 17:52
I'm hoping S/W Offroad can hook me up with his FAVORITE testing station.I'll be replacing the injectors, then going to a different testing station as I am beginning to have doubts about the one I was at. The day I was there a 6.5 service truck was ahead of me being tested. Everytime he opened the throttle, there was a fairly large blast of blue smoke initially, and then it cleared. Dont know whether he passed or not. I couldnt see how he could.They made him test twice(12 snap cycles) as there was something wrong with the test equipment apparently.Wish I could have caught him before he left. When my truck was tested, I looked in the side mirror on purpose each time and didnt really see any smoke. However, the exhaust has a "sweet" odor, almost like a rich mixture.The truck uses NO coolant.Could crap be blowing out of the CAT?

tom.mcinerney
02-10-2005, 19:22
I recently found a (good price) source for new OEM-style cats , removed my original, and welded new in its place. Then observed that my original was in nearly perfectly clear condition. One must lower a lamp down the pipe before looking thru it to ascertain if clear. My guess is that the engine must be misfiring and overfueling to plug a cat.

My experience with normally aspirated {non-catylist} VW is that the MUFFLER loads up with soot at part-throttle/low-revs. After a highway run at max revs, the exhaust was remarkably clean.

I concur with consensus that your emissions test is funky and dangerous. I'd warm up your rig thoroughly, run on hiway at WOT (or as near as you dare...or at least HOT at HIGH revs) for a quarter/half hour , then test. I think you need to run the engine AT, or ABOVE the revs at test in order not to discharge, in the test, soot which has been accumulating for months. The new injectors can't hurt, and a performance fuel additive will help. But diesels are known to be weak at acceleration, so the test tests the weak aspect. In 5-ten years, with clean fuels, diesels will be as clean as gassers. And YES, diesels have been discouraged in the USA , except for heavy trucks.

The problem is more than tree huggers. People advocate "ZEV"{zero emission vehicle, aka battery-electrics} and "hydrogen" {fuel cells} , without figuring where the electric, or hydrogen originates!

S\W Off Road
02-10-2005, 20:37
Originally posted by turbovair:
I'm hoping S/W Offroad can hook me up with his FAVORITE testing station. I use the station that is on Roosevelt one light south of I-10 and west of 51 ave. I don't use a block or anything I just watch the tac and hold it. Have you checked your timing? I have not read the complete thread but if you need it timed I have a Vetronics Tech1a that I use on my 1994 and I think it will also work on your 1995.

Mike

turbovair
02-11-2005, 07:05
S/W
Had truck timed @dealer 8 months ago just for drill. Will your rig work on an electronic 96 model? Will have to retime after injectors of course. It would be nice to save $100.

S\W Off Road
02-11-2005, 08:21
It might, I know you work just down the road so give me a call on my cell and let's see. 602 237 4399

Mike

additive
02-11-2005, 11:00
TurboVair. I have taken my 96 suburban into emissions at the station on Chandler Blvd. just east of I-10. They told me they did not want to damage my rig, so they gave me a director's exemption. THis has happened 3 years in a row. I would try that station in that they seem to know about the govenor issue on these diesels.

Also, their equipment does not work well in cold wet weather. I always take it in around the middle of Decebmer when it is cold and foggy so that the equipment won't work well if they do want to try and test it.

Additive

turbovair
02-11-2005, 18:09
Sounds great guys, I'll probably try one of the two next time. Thanks for the help.