PDA

View Full Version : Bolt head from under truck mid section

EdSpaek
02-24-2010, 15:21
OK guys, my 2008 2500HD pulls into the driveway I hear a loud snap and find a nut and 3/8 stud sitting under the truck that sheared off from somewhere. I go looking for where it came from I cannot find a headless stud. If I were working on a gas engine I would look at the exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe connection for this type of stud

Any thoughts, my fear is that now another one or two studs are under severe strain and may let loose-just do not know what will let loose and when

The truck has 48,000 miles never tows anything

Anyone else have this occur??

Kennedy
02-25-2010, 12:21
I assume by 3/8" you mean 10mm?

Could you post a picture?

EdSpaek
02-25-2010, 15:26
Here is a photo-any thoughts would be appreciated

Mark Rinker
02-25-2010, 18:12
Sure is rusty for a nut/bolt off a 2008...are you certain it came off your truck, and not the guy's old rust bucket that plows your driveway?

Kennedy
02-25-2010, 18:24
Check the exhaust flanges. Looks like a cat stud or DPF stuf.

There is a 4 bolt flange behind the cat and a 3 bolt behind the DPF.

EdSpaek
02-26-2010, 05:47
Thanks guys and I agree it does not look like a newer fastner but I have been through a lot of snow the past 2 years. The only way I am relatively sure it came from my truck is I pulled in the driveway and heard what sounded like a gun shot. When I looked and found the fastner I realized that sound was also similar to a fastner failing under stress. I will inspect the exhaust flanges

EdSpaek
02-28-2010, 14:03
Thanks guys found the bottom dpf stud broken, with the help of the smoke wrench and a punch I have now replaced all three - just in case the other two were weakened when the bottom stud failed. Not sure why I did not notice this the the last time I was under the truck

appreciate the help!

Kennedy
03-01-2010, 08:20
Thought so. I twisted one of those off myself the other day. Now I heat them all. With the heat from the DPF that stuff just gets NASTY. Used to be you could reuse the cat flange gaskets most of the time as they would tend to stick to one side. Now both gaskets seem to fuse to both sides of the pipe...