PDA

View Full Version : Well - could be the wrong oil

NEW2DMAX
02-21-2010, 17:56
After the hole in the transfer case repiar at about 80K the GM shop replaced the back 1/2 case of the TCASE. I thought it may be a good idea to change the fluid after about 1000 miles just to be sure no junk was lsft over from the change. And dont know who to blame the GM parts guy or myself but I may have put in the AUTO TRAK II oil in the Transfer Case and it is not the AUTO 4x4 TCase. Could there be some damage from this????????

madmatt
02-22-2010, 05:21
probably not but i'd change it to the right stuff asap.

More Power
02-22-2010, 10:06
Back in the 1980's a local shop serviced a truck of mine, and poured in 75W-90 gear lube in the txfer case. That truck's txfer case was supposed to get ATF as well. No harm done in the short time it was run.

Since the txfer case uses just 1.9 quarts, and it doesn't get serviced often, synthetic ATF is a good choice... :)

Jim

crashz
02-22-2010, 12:02
The AutotracII fluid is great stuff. Low viscosity, full synthetic, high levels of extreme pressure additive. Great stuff. It does have more (than ATF) friction modifier for the clutches inthe Autotrac T cases though. And its not cheap.

I've spoken to a few GM techs that run it in manual cases as they claim to have seen less wear using that fluid. I can't back that up, so take what you will of it.

Don't worry about running it in your manual case. It will be fine. Switch it out for a synthetic ATF and run as normal.