PDA

View Full Version : Anti-stop brakes

Mark Rinker
02-07-2010, 22:29
I've had it with the anti-lock brakes on my 2006.

I spend alot of time in my truck driving in slick conditions, and it is nearly a daily occurance to have them engage, chatter, and buck the brake pedal back at me, when I really would rather let the Michelins and their great snow traction do the work of stopping. In a few cases, the anti-lock system has extended my stopping distance significatly over what I know could have been acheived with an experienced winter braking foot...as much as two full truck lengths in some cases.

How do you disable this annoying feature? If no, is there any way to adjust them so they aren't so aggressive?

This 2006 Silverado is the only one of many I have owned to present this situation. The programming feels all wrong, and you cannot push through the 'pedal chatter' to get the brakes engaged anywhere near locking force, once the system engages. Its like losing 50% of your braking force, right when you need it the most!

The best way to describe the rolling mayhem that can happen on snow over ice is 'anti-stop'...:mad::mad::mad:

moss6
02-08-2010, 12:25
Mark, I believe I have heard that you can just unplug. I have not tried it but like you, do not like the feature and really believe I can stop quicker in any condition without the system; but the wife is the primary operator.

JohnC
02-08-2010, 13:30
Most likely the wheel speed sensors are rusting up. Same old problem...

moss6
02-09-2010, 13:59
I think Mark and I both are refering to how they function new from the factory, not a deterioration factor.

JohnC
02-09-2010, 15:20
I think Mark and I both are refering to how they function new from the factory...

Mine didn't do that until the wheel speed sensor lifted up. Now they do it on dry roads.

Mark Rinker
02-09-2010, 17:45
I'll check for snow/ice/salt crud on the wheel sensors.

The characteristic isn't 'new' - but it does seem to be more prevailent, and the 'kick-back' of the pedal stronger and more difficult to manually 'push-through'.

Obviously very hard to describe, but something is amis...I have never seen it engage on dry pavement.

Mark Rinker
02-09-2010, 17:45
I'll check for snow/ice/salt crud on the wheel sensors.

The characteristic isn't 'new' - but it does seem to be more prevailent, and the 'kick-back' of the pedal stronger and more difficult to manually 'push-through'.

Obviously very hard to describe, but something is amis...I have never seen it engage on dry pavement.

carco
02-21-2010, 08:57
You are correct, in that ABS can and does often cause longer stopping differences on snow just fact. For the best stopping on snow the tires need to build a wedge/chock of snow in front of the tires to assist stopping. ABS does not allow the snow to build up in front of the tires. In other conditions the abs will normally produce shorter stopping distances.
Mark, can not answer your question like you need other than to say pull the fuse. Yes, you may have an overactive abs sys, maybe due to a metal filings beard on one or more abs sensors, pull, clean and apply the spray coating GM has for the sensors.