PDA

View Full Version : Weird starter issues

till
02-06-2010, 17:54
I believe that I may have a grounding issue. If I fail to crank long enough to start I have to cycle the start sequence two times and then on the third cycle it will crank and start. Once up to running temperature it acts like the starter solenoid is bad, but sometimes it will go if I try it a second time with out cycling through the whole start sequence.

Any thought or directions to threads I should read?

Thank you in advance.

rogers
02-06-2010, 20:09
I had the same kind of problem on my truck about two years ago. I found that one of my batteries was bad. Replaced them both and haven't had a problem since. That may not be your trouble but it can't hurt to check.

a5150nut
02-07-2010, 09:05
Till,

Welcome to TDP.

Try getting the batteries load tested. Then clean all grounds. Next, check the switch on the lower steering column just above the brake pedle.

HH
02-07-2010, 19:13
Do all of the above. Also check the condition of the small wire going to the solenoid. Mine did something similar, I changed the wire and have not had a problem since. You will need a good clean connection, solder is best with a new wire and terminal.

till
02-07-2010, 20:50
Thank you one and all! I have a list and will start going through it one item at time.

Ground wire
Batteries (check condition)
Starter switch on column (had that issue with a 1 ton dodge years back!)
Wires at starter.

Wow!

till
02-12-2010, 14:51
New matched batteries are in, ground cables check out. Starting problems solved! THANK YOU!

It turned out that the batteries in the truck were two different makes, years of manufacture and amp rating.

The more I drive this thing the more it seems to be working better. I guess it just sat too much.

The charge gauge seems to be worthless though.....