PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding Air Problems

crashz
02-02-2010, 08:45
After getting my father's truck temporarily back up and running with a Fel Pro genereic lift pump (he has a 2004 Dodge with Cummins), I was thinking of using the same electric lift pump, mounted near the tank, on my 87 one ton dump truck.

After my tank replacement, I've been chasing air leaks and cannot seem to keep the fuel system primed overnight. The condition of the hard lines are questionable, so I'd like to replace them, as well as the hoses and maybe the mechanical lift pump. Even so, I think the electric pump would be a good way to check for leaks and would be handy when changing fuel filters. Opinions?

Thanks!
Leo

john8662
02-02-2010, 10:50
I think the cummins electric lift pump operates at a much higher fuel pressure than the 6.2 needs. The 6.2's injection system expects 5-8 psi of fuel pressure, much more pressure than that and the fuel system timing advance will not work properly.

Check the return side of your fuel system as well.

Since replacing the tank, you might go back and check the line connections. Frequently, the replacement line at the auto store starts failing rapidly, it's possible it's already cracking and leaking. I think they need to sell the new line as water line and not fuel line, it's quite sad really.

If replacing the line I only recommend the pricey fuel injection line (stuff used on higher fuel-pressure gassers).

J

crashz
02-02-2010, 19:00
The pump is a generic model made by Fel Pro. Typical pressures are about the same 5-10 psi max. It is a flow through design, that I was thinking could be wired to a switch in the cab

Good call on the fuel hose. The auto parts hose is fairly worthless. The steel lines are in pretty rough shape too, so I could be getting some air through those as well. I'll get the heavier FI hose.