PDA

View Full Version : best place for EGT sensor??

tank140
02-01-2010, 09:46
HI all

Just wondering where to mount the EGT sensor on my exhaust system for best results?

1 before turbo on the manifold?

0r

2 after the turbo on the exhaust side?

I just got a kit, so just need a bit of advice as to the best place to put it

anyone help?

cheers
tank

DennisG01
02-01-2010, 12:23
That square boss on the mani, just under the turbo is an ideal spot. Pre-turbo will give you a much quicker reading gauge than post turbo.

Here's a thread I found using the search tool that offers some discussion.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=31099&highlight=egt+probe

agidius
02-07-2010, 22:33
when I installed my EGT, I read the threads about putting it in front of the turbo, but I fear if something goes wrong, the test probe going through the turbo would be quite destructive.
I put mine in the pipe just after the turbo.

JohnC
02-08-2010, 12:03
The closer you get the probe to the combustion the more accurate the reading will be. After the turbo is the least accurate as you have no way of knowing how much heat is extracted by the turbo.

The same probes are used in piston powered aircraft. The reading is called turbo[charger] inlet temperature (TIT). There are no issues with the probe going through the turbine.

DennisG01
02-08-2010, 12:10
Ken, I've heard that concern before. But, in the 6-1/2 years I've been on this forum, I can honestly say I've NEVER read about it actually happening.

jhornsby3
02-09-2010, 22:49
Most say the best place to put the probe is in the driver side of the cross over tube. MIne is about 2 to 3 inches from the end of the tube. There is a article on it on Kennedy's site in his blog.

John