PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Chevy Duramax with probs

More Power
01-28-2010, 12:12
I received the following request from one of our members from Iceland who is seeking help in solving a string of problems. I'm posting his message here to see what you think might be the causes.

Thanks for your help. Jim

---------------------------------------------------
Hello,

I drive a "Chevrolet Silverado 2003 6.6L diesel 2500HD with Alison Automatic Transmission" since 2004, and have had some problems with my car lately. I wonder if you could help me to find out how to fix these problems.

1) The Hazard warning flashers starts to signal, WITHOUT being turn on. To get this to stop I have to turn on the button and turn off the button again. I have to have the button turned on 2-5 minutes at least. Is this something you have heard of before?

2) Heated Seats feature in the drivers seat sometimes turns on, at different level of heat each time, WITHOUT me pressing the buttons. Sometimes if I press the horizontal button (to heat the entire seat) the light turns off immediately and the seat does not heat. I have to press the vertical button first to get this feature to work for the driver’s seat.

3) It has happened 4 or 5 times when I was driving slowly in a slope, that the engine turned off without any warning and the battery warning light displayed. Then I had to turn the ignition key off and a little bit later I turned the ignition key to start, and the engine started normally. Is this something that you have heard of before?

4) It has happened a few times that the Cruise Control does not work when I turn it on. Then I have to stop the vehicle and turn off the ignition key. Start the engine again, and turn on the Cruise control again. Is this something you have heard before?

5) It sometimes happens when I start the engine(turn on the ignition key),that the engine does not start at all. This has normally happened when I have been driving, and have I stopped the engine (turned off the ignition key) for a while (10 minutes - 2 hours). I start and start (turn on the ignition key many times) but the engine will not start. I have had to open the hood and spray Quik Starter Spray into the air cleaner and then the engine starts. After this I have tested it again (stopped and turned off the ignition key and turned it on again) and the engine has started all ok. This happens occasionally. It also seems to me that nowadays I have to turn the ignition key more often(it takes more time) to get the engine to start.

6) I have for some time heard a tip when I push on the brake pedal and a tip again when I unloose the brake pedal. The other day I was parking at home, I heard some more tips taps. I checked if there was something wrong in the spring shackle or if this was in the drive shaft spider, but it was not. Could there be something wrong in the Automatic Transmission or a problem in the range? The drive shaft rotates 180º when shifting from D to R (Drive to Reverse). I opened the range and found a very small (1*1*5 millmetres) medal parts so I guess that is the reason. I have not yet driven my car since this happened and I am anxious to find out what might be causing this and if this is serious damage in my car.

7) Once I was releasing my Camper from the car and when I has finished I notice oil leak from Automatic Transmission, it was small pool of oil. It looked like it was coming from overflow spout. I added more oil, 1 litre. This happened 1 year ago and I have not see such oil leak again.

Please assist with my request as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Hjortur

shouldaboughtachevy
01-28-2010, 19:26
The electrical problems sound eerily like an ignition switch and/or ecm problems. I know a little about Chevy gas trucks, but very little about the diesels, so I don't know for sure.

I have a '95 7.4L that out of nowhere stopped shifting out of 2nd. I'd have to turn the ignition on then off a few times and it would work. Of course, eventually even that stopped doing the trick. After a ton of diag on the trans, turned out to just be a faulty ignition switch.

Mark Rinker
01-29-2010, 11:20
Tell him NOT to use 'Quik Start Spray' or he won't have an engine to start pretty soon...:eek:

#5) A Duramax that doesn't start straight away is a Duramax with something not working.

If in cold conditions and not plugging the truck in, or the block heater is bad. Excessive cold cranking is NOT good.
Intake air heater may also be failing, causing problematic cold starts
Glow plugs, controller, or connections may be bad.
Does he have any codes set for all these garden variety issues???