PDA

View Full Version : Where to purchase replacement FICM?

klyrow
01-24-2010, 18:51
Hello everyone. I've been an avid reader of this forum, and others, for a long while, and many of your threads/posts and articles have really helped me out over the years. However, now I'm in need of actually making my own thread/post to ask for some specific help.

My truck (2001 Duramax) wouldn't crank the other day and 2 different GM dealers tell me it's the FICM (each diagnosed it). I just can't afford what they want to replace it, so I'm wondering if any of you may know where I can buy a new or remanufactured replacement for much less? I am mechanically competent to replace it on my own (I've seen it done, plus I have read the articles on doing such), so no worries in that department.

I've seen a few used ones on the various Duramax forums for $1xx to $2xx range, which would be great if I could get my hands on one of those, but haven't seen any that haven't been sold already, so still looking.

Thanks for all your help in advance! It is truly appreciated.

klyrow
01-24-2010, 22:22
Okay, my bad everyone, but it looks like I jumped the gun. It's more than likely the ECM (aka PCM, part #9388505). I'll know for sure tomorrow, however. Sadly, the '01 Duramax was the sole year for astronomical ECM price.

Regardless, here's some info for those that may need an ECM or an FICM (or whatever) in the future:

2001 ECM (powertrain control module) part #: 9388505
MSRP from GM: $1,765.81
gmpartsdirect.com & gmpartsonline.net sells them for $918.23 new (both have an insane shipping fee, however).

2001-2004 LB7 FICM (Injector Module) part #: 97720663
MSRP from GM: $1,132.85
gmpartsdirect.com & gmpartsonline.net sells them for $824.72 new (both have an insane shipping fee, however).

One can find either of the parts above through various members or vendors here on these forums, or www.car-parts.com (database of salvage yards across the US), or eBay, for $100 to $400 range.

The dealer probably won't like it, but I'm going to bring them a used one, and let them program it in with their Tech2. If I was in Alabama, my partner's shop has one I could have used for free, but oh well.

Kennedy
01-28-2010, 08:25
Let's define something. Crank

Crank to me is to turn over like the old hand crank engines w/o electric start. Some in the south seem to define "crank" as I define "fire" meaning the engine turns over (Cranks) but will not start (Fire.

The 2001 LB7 ECM is an odd one as you stated. I do a lot of custom progranmming and with these I do a special upgrade to eliminate the 2001 oddities and get you further ahead.

It is not exceptionally common to see an ECM fail in one of these, but it does happen. Anyhow, if you need one I can set it up to drop in and go w/o any hassle. We'll also pick up the performance all in one...

Mark Rinker
01-28-2010, 08:32
Strongly suggest this update/upgrade for ANY 2001 owner...

One of my favorite tunes ever - we put on many many many miles on our '01 and '02 K2500s running this tune. Great loaded or unloaded, mileage and power is fantastic.

Said it many times, will say it again...GM should have licensed JK's LB7 tune and sent every truck out the door with it. That smooth, that good. Better than stock in every measure.

More Power
01-28-2010, 11:53
I've bought a salvage yard ECM and a TCM for the 01 D/A during the conversion of my 1989 Chevy. Both cost $200.

I'd want to eliminate any wiring harness or connector problem related to the FICM before replacing the FICM. I haven't heard of a failed FICM yet, but there have been a small number of wiring related problems reported.

Jim

Kennedy
01-29-2010, 07:49
Of the FICM failure reports I've seen where a single bank of 4 goes down. Not 100% sure that the FICM replacement cured it though as I never heard back. I also had a customer "zap" his FICM with the alternator hot wire and it was DOA right now.

I have a 2001 ECM that did fail. The fuel pressure regulation part went haywire and when started the psi just ramped right up. Verified by reflashing and installing in my own truck.

Again we need to define the use of the word "Crank"