PDA

View Full Version : What manifold is this?

craigrep
01-23-2010, 17:25
Is this manifold from a HUMVEE? From what I've seen it is from a Hummer. The holes to mount air cleaner (NA)/Banks pressure chamber (turbo) are side to side not front to back. Can this replace a c code manifold? If so and I use it with the Banks turbo, I guess just drill 2 hole in pressure chamber and block off the two original holes from banks. What would be best to block the holes with?
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1590&stc=1&d=1264292452

DmaxMaverick
01-24-2010, 06:37
That does appear to be an intake for a HMMWV. Most will fit, if it is an earlier 6.2 (IIRC). Later and 6.5's (and some van applications) had different bolt-hole angles (60° or 90° into the head), so you'll need to confirm the application. The gurus over at www.steelsoldiers.com (http://www.steelsoldiers.com) will be able to tell you all you need to know about it.

That's a very nice looking manifold. If you use it, take lots of pictures and frame them. It'll never look that good again.

Robyn
01-24-2010, 08:34
The best/safest way to do this would be as you said, drill two new holes in the Banks top hat and then simply plug the other two with bolts.

Place an O Ring on a short bolt and slide it up to just below the head (thin sectioned O ring) install the bolt from the top and then thread on a Nyloc nut and snug it down so the O ring seals the hole.

The Nyloc nut will safely retain things and will not fall off.

The other method would be to clean the area real well with a little sand paper, then wash with brakeKeen.

Place some masking tape on the inside to cover the hole, now fill the hole with JB Weld. Allow the JB to overlap the top of the hole a little (Like a mushrooms head)

When the JB cures, remove the tape and repaint the top hat.

I personally would use a bolt and Nyloc nut with O ring.

Have fun

Missy

DmaxMaverick
01-24-2010, 08:55
Yeah. What Robyn said. Forgot about the top holes (been a while). Even with Nylock nuts, I'd still use some red Loc-Tite (belt and suspenders). You could seal the bolt with RTV or a nylon or rubber washers, rather than O-rings.

85-m1028
01-24-2010, 09:51
You might have some clearence issues because the mounting surface is much lower than a factory dual plane intake. You may need to make some kind of spacer to raise it up a little bit so it clears the valve covers. I'm not completely sure it will contact, just something to be aware of.

I have used some ABS with 6" I.D. to make a spacer but that was for a N/A aplication. Not sure how well it would work with the pressure of a turbo.

PS. I used some all thread to make the bolts for the intake mounting hat, I can't remeber what size it was but it was pretty standard issue stuff.

craigrep
01-24-2010, 16:42
Thanks, that pretty much what I thought. Robyn - that was how I was planning on installing if it fits. Was just nervous about have nuts (even with nylon lockers and red loctite) hanging in the plenum area. I think it should clear the valve covers if it is lower because the top hat is smaller than the original air cleaner. I hope it all works out, cause my new Banks system it just collecting dust :)

DmaxMaverick
01-24-2010, 19:24
Install the bolts upside-down, drill the ends above the nut, and cotter-pin them. If the nut fails, the pin will keep it from falling in (belt, suspenders, and something else). Or, install a rivet with an O-ring (a real rivet, not a pop rivet). Or, thread the hole and install a bolt with some sealer.

It's just a hole. Lots of ways to plug it.