PDA

View Full Version : freeze plug for egr bypass

craigrep
01-21-2010, 15:04
Hello, l'm looking to remove the EGR valve from my 1988 6.2l while in the middle of installing a Banks sidewinder turbo. I searched the site and found the size of the freeze plug to use is 1 53/64" to block hole after EGR removal. My local NAPA did not have one that size, my question is... is it OK to use the expanding rubber type?

Thanks, Craig

john8662
01-21-2010, 15:27
Do not use an expanding rubber hose in this location, it's going to have hot exhaust there, rubber won't survive.

Check with a local engine machine shop and see if they have anything, most times they have a selection of them. Although. I haven't heard of that size before...

Best bet would be to take the manifold with you to the engine machine shop and let them use the calipers on it and give you the right size.

craigrep
01-21-2010, 16:01
Thanks, I thought so. Does anyone know what size plug it would use? Or does anyone have a j code manifold for a 1988 6.2 in a c2500 (I read manifold from a Humvee was different size (too tall or something)).

Thanks, Craig

JohnC
01-21-2010, 18:36
Mill it out to 1 7/8"... (1 56/64)

EWC
01-21-2010, 20:25
Which manifold are you looking for ? The single or dual plane J code ?

craigrep
01-22-2010, 14:52
I would perfer a single plane.

john8662
01-25-2010, 12:09
There are three different single plane intakes.

1 Hummer (Crappy and won't work in a truck very well at all)
2. 88-91 6.2L Diesels with Model 80 Fuel Filter system (square filter)
3. 92-9X 6.5L Mechanical N/A Diesel with FM100 round filter system.
4. 94-9X 6.5L Electronic DS4 N/A Diesel with FM100 round filter system.

The difference between #'s 2 and 3 is the castings on the intake manifold where the fuel filter mounts to.

Now the kicker, what body style do you have? Most likely the "newer" non-square body (81-87 style) truck.

#4 is the same as #3 in fuel filter mounting, just that is has an additional notch on the #1 cylinder runner to clear the Pump mounted driver on the DS4 injection pump.

J

craigrep
01-28-2010, 17:55
John, what is the reason the Hummer intake is crappy? Is it because it is shorter and won't do the same air volume as a normal J code manifold? Could say a 4 inch spacer (or so) be added to the top to increase the pressure chamber area to fix the crappy part or is there more to that manifold?

Thanks, Craig

john8662
01-31-2010, 13:54
It's just crappy because it's low profile, so your air cleaner won't clear everything, forcing you to make a spacer (which is crappy because that would be a pain, and could introduce a weakness or a source for dirt leak).

Second, the clocking of the studs on the manifold are clocked 180* different from the typical truck one. This just makes you have to bend the indexing tab on the air cleaner (non turbo) to sit correctly on the engine.

Third, CDR, the connection on the Hummer manifold only has one 1 of the smaller CDR ports on it. The older 6.2's in a truck have two of this same size, so if you have this, you're doing some re-plumbing that may or may not work properly for the breather system. The only way it might work decent is if you've got a later 6.2 that has the CDR valve on the valve cover, you'd just need a hose reducer on that.

Besides not being able to bolt up and work, they're fine as far as I know. They'd be great in a chassis needing more room for clearance of the engine. Like a custom G van turbo setup, hmm...

I just like to keep things near OEM, things work better that way.

J