PDA

View Full Version : Parallel Lift Pumps

dieseldummy
04-22-2005, 15:44
I posted a while back about not having enough fuel pressure and finally got the problem solved. Before it would make 7psi at idle and go to zero without much effort. I added another stock lift pump in parallel with the first one. I found some brass fittings that connect to the factor fuel line, added a tee and some various pieces, slid the factory line back a little bit to alow the new longer pump w/fittings to fit, spliced the wiring, and that was it. It now idles at about 9 psi, and will only drop down to 3 psi under hard excelleration. I can tell that the IP is not starved for fuel anymore because it doesn't "buck" or cutout at higher rpms anymore. I know Tim (tbogemirep) was talking about doing a similar setup and last I knew hadn't gotten it done. This is just a bit of info that I thought might be usefull for those of us that are running higher fuel delivery rates that stock and need just a little more fuel to the IP. If anyone would like any detailed part descriptions I'll try and see what I can do to help out.

Justin

Dvldog 8793
04-22-2005, 16:41
Howdy
Sounds like a good idea. I have a Heath Hi flow lift pump and even with that I can make it drop to 1psi, steady 7 at idle. The new Delco pump was at 6psi on idle and would go to below 1psi with to much work. Have you considered running the pumps off of a heavier relay to allow for a good solid 13 volts? Are you running any addition fuel filters? Was there any other noticeable differences? Will these pumps allow fuel to pass if they become inop? It would be a good redundancy system if nothing else. I've already got the fairly new Delco pump to put with the Heath.
Thanks !
L8r
Conley
USMC 87-93

dieseldummy
04-22-2005, 18:27
The pumps are hard wired to the battery, I know bad things could happen, but that's the choice I made. No added filters yet, but hopefully sooner than later. I suppose that they will flow fuel if not working, it would be just like when a OPS or the LP itself goes out regularly it would just run like crap I suppose. I was just going to go with a Holley blue or something similar, but I already had another Delco pump laying around...