PDA

View Full Version : USA SPEC iPod Adapter Install

78Chev
01-18-2010, 14:42
Trying to figure out the best place to install the adapter box and run the wires to the iPod. I don't like using playlists much and so I anticipate using it in direct mod by controlling the iPod. Any advice? Thanks.
Randy

MikeyB
01-19-2010, 06:07
Trying to figure out the best place to install the adapter box and run the wires to the iPod. I don't like using playlists much and so I anticipate using it in direct mod by controlling the iPod. Any advice? Thanks.
Randy

I have an '01 Duramax with the external cassette player. I know our model years are different and I don't know the interior of an '06 but here is what I did on my 2001. I unplugged the external cassette located above the center console and plugged the convertor into that pigtail. I put the box under my cup holder. It just pulls out and there was room underneath to velcro the box below. I wanted an accessible place to get to the box in the future. So far I really like it, have had no issues and use it in the direct mode as well.

Mike

78Chev
01-19-2010, 19:20
Good idea. Mine has a monster console with 3 cubbies of all sizes on the dash panel. The upper left cubbie is a good place for the iPod. Like you I'd like the box accessible so my son can plug his Zune into the aux port. Equal opportunity MP3 in the truck!

78Chev
01-24-2010, 20:31
To make room at the back of the radio for the new harness I slipped the harness behind the radio support bracket and tucked the wires to the left and right. This allowed the radio to slide back in without a bunch of wires in the way. I threaded the adapter wire to the back of the glove box, and after making the connections put the box in some dead space to the left of the glove box and into the console. I ran the iPod wire in the seam between the console and right hand seam by the glove box and then across left under the IP bezel so that it emerged at a seam on the left side of the bezel, console, and dash panels. About 2 feet of wire hangs out here, just enough to store the iPod in any of the console cubbies and to be able to control it in direct mode. Sorry I didn't think to take pics. Works great this way.