PDA

View Full Version : stalling 6.5 td when warm....not fsd!

Docfranco
04-22-2005, 13:18
Hello fellow 6.5 ers
I am having a stalling problem with my 6.5. My 6.5 seems to run well when cold till warm then within 10-15 minutes it starts to stumble & stall. it will restart then run poorly and die. the only codes so far are cylinder unbalance dont remember the number. when i tow it home and it cools off it starts up again fine. I bought a heath remote mount FSD for the probable demise of the pump mounted one. when it was having an episode of stalling i plugged in my remote FSD thinking HA, i have it licked.....NOT. it made no difference. back to the drawing board...Could this be the IP? are there codes they usally signal its demise...? it would be tto easy if there were a code # that said "your IP pump needs to be replaced" But nooooo we have to decipher cryptic code to find the real problem....lol

damork
04-22-2005, 15:42
The codes depend on the year. My 1995 injection pump was toast when codes 17, 18, 35, & 36 were showing up. After 1995 the codes changed.

Docfranco
04-22-2005, 18:14
Mine is a 96 so it will be OBDII and i also thought of the possibility of the OPS but i have the lift pump wired direct to the ignition. would a bad OPS still affect the stalling? I am thinking no.....but am willing to be enlightened....

tom.mcinerney
04-30-2005, 18:17
Injection pumps do die in the heat. You may try to check by pouring room temp water on pump, might restore tolerances and pressure enough to restart hot.
But you owe it to self to put a gage on the lift pump to see it is holding pressure...also a filter change may be in order.

Barry Nave
05-01-2005, 01:36
I like going back to old post about a problem though at time when I read something like this, I don't see what was done to fix it or if is was fixed. Case in point,I'm still dealing with a non-working elect. boost control. May not find that problem,trying to. So for now the Vac. system is just by-passed to have boost :confused:

Michael McRae
05-01-2005, 17:47
I am having the same problem !!!

I have changed the lift pump, filter, and PMD/FSD. I have even been going through the "PMD Troubleshooting Guide". (i.e. I have checked my engine to chassis grounds, made new grounds, cleaned the 15-pin connectctor on the rear of the engine, alternator is good, batteries are only about 6-mo old, etc..) What can it be ?

But I still have the same problem that you have. Starts fine when cold, but when it warms up it stalls, idles rough, and dies. I am showing codes 17, 18, 35, & 54.

Please Help !!

DeezlStinson
05-01-2005, 21:55
I don't remember seeing how many miles you have on it.

It sounds like you might need to replace the injection pump. Sorry about that.

Rick
\

Originally posted by Michael McRae:
I am having the same problem !!!

I have changed the lift pump, filter, and PMD/FSD. I have even been going through the "PMD Troubleshooting Guide". (i.e. I have checked my engine to chassis grounds, made new grounds, cleaned the 15-pin connectctor on the rear of the engine, alternator is good, batteries are only about 6-mo old, etc..) What can it be ?

But I still have the same problem that you have. Starts fine when cold, but when it warms up it stalls, idles rough, and dies. I am showing codes 17, 18, 35, & 54.

Please Help !!

WhiteGMC
05-02-2005, 00:23
Docfranco,
I have a 1996 GMC and I have been told it doesn't have an OPS...check with John at Kennedy Diesel

Jerry

Docfranco
05-02-2005, 07:56
If anyone has connected this problem to my other post they are quicker than I. It seems my time to stalling interval was getting shorter and shorter. Prior to this realization I thought it was related to temp warm up. I believe i have found the problem to be algae in the tank, leading to plugged filters/two inoperable lift pumps. as the filter was getting more and more clogged my run-to-stall time was getting shorter and shorter. when i took off the lift pump this last time i had a great Ah-hah. So i dropped the tank and cleaned and will be replacing my new clogged filter tomorrow. on to the next problem whatever it may be...lol

Michael McRae
05-02-2005, 19:31
For the Gentleman who asked, my 6.5TD is a 95 Suburban with 95K miles. The injector pump was replaced around 50K. Also, to correct what I stated earlier, the truck is a little harder to start than usual (even when cold, but harder when hot). However, the lift pump is fine, and so is the oil pressure switch (OPS). I also opened the bleed valve on the filter and the fuel pumps out just fine (no algae clog, etc.).

I understand that the IP is still under warranty (11 year or 100K+ miles). However my dealer wants $900 to purge the fuel system, etc. I said no way; I can fix myself for the cost of a PMD. Well, I bought a PMD from Kennedy Diesel and did all the other things I mentioned in an earlier e-mail, but I still have a problem.

One thing though, I noticed that the PMD from Kennedy Diesel was not in a sealed bag/wrapper or anything. I was a little concerned that it may have been a used one, or a returned item. But I installed it anyway..... and again I am still having problems.

Any comments / suggestions ?

Mike McRae (Fair Oaks, CA) 95 Stock Suburban, 95K miles

rameye
05-03-2005, 01:46
Could be a pump with all those codes :( ...hate to say it...just make sure you rule out all other causes.

It sounds like you pretty much have.

Barry Nave
05-03-2005, 01:53
Mike
After clearing codes, when check eng. light comes on(CK at that time) do all the codes return?
Code 54, PCM fuel circuit error.
I would be wanting to pull intake off and CK wires going to IP.
PMD from JK,these units gome plain. Did you remove the Trans cover? Black covers on the underside.
There been time when I chace a code problem there have been many. After clearing, when CK eng. comes on not all codes return at that moment. Any chance you know what model# IP was replaced?

Wheat Whacker
05-03-2005, 19:06
My '95 acted just like that and it was the ip. Which my dealer replaced at no charge under the extended warranty. If the dealer wants $900 for a system purge I think I would try a different dealer and see what they say. It seems there a lot of dealers trying to take advantage of this situation (not just yours) and trying to make a lotta extra cash.

Just my 2 pennies worth.