PDA

View Full Version : Power Tap at Battery

David Connors
01-15-2010, 04:08
On a 2006, 3500, Cargo Van, I want to connect a VHF FM Transceiver directly to the battery.

Are both batteries equal, one in the engine compartment, one under the body.

Need 11 amp peak service. The plan is to place a flat plate purchased at the local auto parts under the terminal for stay con connection. Fuse and use corrigated wire channel to bring the wires up behind the drivers seat.

I can't see why, but does it make a difference which battery is tapped?

Has any one found a good location for radios, next to the driver or ceiling mount.

DmaxMaverick
01-15-2010, 09:16
Welcome to the Forums, David!

The batteries are connected in parallel, all the time (no relays or isolators). It doesn't matter which battery supplies your power. However, due to the cable lengths and inherent battery variations, it would go a long way to test the voltage output at both sources during a cold start. The voltage differences seen at the terminals can be more than a full volt. Have a look at your radio system's electrical tolerance range to ensure the voltage doesn't decrease below the threshold, which can can cause damage. 11 amps isn't much, but it can make the difference between a good and not-so-good starts when there's frost on the pumpkin and there is some variation in the starting system (starter/battery/connector weakness, etc.). I suggest an isolator of some sort for your system to prevent shortfalls in either system (starting and radio) during the start cycle.