PDA

View Full Version : Truck died

BamaChief600
01-14-2010, 21:21
Well during the recent cold snap here in the South I went out and started the truck. It belched white smoke and it ran rough. It ran like this for several minutes before it just died. It acted as if it was out of fuel so I checked the fuel filter and it was out. (I have the kennedy OPS kit) So I primed it and tried starting it again and nothing. I dont even get any smoke from the pipe. I know there is fuel but it seems to not be getting fuel. I have a new IP,injectors and glow plugs. I am about ready to use it for a planter in the yard.:(

rameye
01-15-2010, 18:37
Chief,

You gotta completely bleed the fuel filter set up and I also break the line at the IP and bleed it up to there also.

Also crack as many of the injector lines as you can get to...all of the drivers at a minimum.

Just prior to going for it I also let the fuel pump run for atleast 15 minutes in hopes it may start to purge air thru the return system.

I also undo my fuel cap.

Charge up the batteries full.....let her rip!

If she's bone dry, it could take a while...hang in there!

PS what kind of trucks are those...funky looking...Smeal? or is that the new Spartan chassis?

DennisG01
01-15-2010, 18:43
Could the fuel be gelled?

BamaChief600
01-22-2010, 21:51
Today I was fooling with the truck and it looks like I had fuel dripping from the return line on the passenger side. Also the t valve for bleeding off water in the filter was leaking. When I took that line loose it had alot of pressure.
I tried to start the truck and it still seems as though Im not getting fuel to the IP. Im going to pull the intake off and change out the lines from the IP to the fuel filter and see what I get.

Oh the truck is a 2005 American LaFrance Metropolitan.

Robyn
01-23-2010, 09:38
First issue is HOW old is the filter, replace it.

Be sure the lift pump is working properly.

I assume this rig is the 93 in your signature ???

Get airfree fuel to the IP and you should not need spend time bleeding all the injectors.

These things will self bleed readily if your getting fuel to the IP.

Be sure that the IP CLICKS when the key is turned on. (Have a helper turn the key on while you listen at the IP)

Be sure that lift pump is working.

Keep us posted.

Robyn

BamaChief600
02-03-2010, 17:35
Well today I took the intake off and replaced all fuel lines from the filter to the IP. Buttoned everything up and primed the system and still nothing. Robyn I checked the IP and it is not clicking like it should. Question is how hard is it to replace that little solenoid and why would it go bad on a fairly new Reman pump? Thanks in advance...I need this truck rolling, Im getting camping fever and the wife is about to skin me.

BamaChief600
04-18-2010, 17:25
Well truck is still not running...I have tried to get codes but the OB my Father in law has will not pull the diesel codes. I am thinking more and more I got a problem with the pump. I tried today to spin it over and check to see if I get fuel from the injectors but I got nothing. I have fuel at the filter but its not pumping. I took off the oil filler to make sure it was turning and it was. I guess Im going to have to send it back to US diesel and let them check it since I got it from them. It is just a year old and maybe 6-7K miles on the pump.

rustyk
04-18-2010, 21:25
IP woun't make a "clicking" sound - the lift pump will

rameye
04-19-2010, 16:42
swap out the old PMD for a good PMD before you break down the pump!

can the old style PMD go bad in that short of time???? yes it can!!! US Diesel builds a solid pump...not to worry there...rule out every thing else first.

BamaChief600
04-21-2010, 05:02
No PMD on this truck it is a manual. I tried pulling codes with my Father-in-laws code reader but it won't pull diesel codes...

JohnC
04-22-2010, 08:34
If there's no PMD there are no codes to pull. If the shutoff solenoid doesn't click, check for 12 volts on the lead at the pump. IIRC, there are 2 leads, maybe green and pink. They should both be powered for a cold start. Green (IIRC) is for the advance and fast idle, not critical, and powered through a coolant temp switch. The other one is critical; no volts, no fuel.

BamaChief600
05-13-2010, 17:43
Ok today I actually had time to work a little on the beast. I took the the top of the intake off and dripped a little diesel fuel into it and tried to start the truck. Low and behold I actually got a little bit of life. Now I have the Kennedy OP switch bypass for the lift pump. I can hear the lift pump working when I push the momentary switch. I have turned the truck over plenty of times to make sure it is primed but I have no fuel coming from the IP. I guess Im going to have to pull it off and see if there is a blockage somewhere. It does baffle me that a pump that was rebuilt less than 6k miles ago has an issue. I am on the verge of selling the beast and getting me a Cummins/Dodge.........:mad:

rameye
05-14-2010, 06:56
Chief,,

1) Get that lift pump running so its runnin all the time first...(temp. jumper)

2) Crack the top of the filter...is there fuel now coming out??

3) Open your water drain T handle...got fuel?

4) Take of the fuel feed hose to the IP....got fuel??

5) Loosen the injector lines on the drivers side...full battery...spin it up....did you get fuel??

6) Does the solenoid on top of the pump click??

7) are ALL grounds clean and shiny??? special; attention to the passenger rear ground....way in the back....often buried in bul1sh1t

I start them up bone dry this way...if its gonna work it will work...

Oh BTW...if its cool out and your glows are not functioning your gonna get a plenty o fuel but no start condition.

A bad PMD will hose you if you have the DS4 pump.....

BamaChief600
05-14-2010, 10:34
1 have the Kennedy switch

2 have fuel at too of filter

3 have fuel at T

4 have fuel through filter to IP

5 cracked injection lines and no fuel with full Batteries

6 can hear the click from solenoid

7 all grounds are good.

8 new injectors and glow plugs

I feel as if there is some type of blockage.....

Yukon6.2
05-15-2010, 07:56
Hi
Check the return line fitting on top of the pump.If it's pluged or any obstruction in the return lines the truck wouln't run.I'v heard of the fitting gettin pluged before,and the truck not starting because of it.
Good Luck
Thomas

rameye
05-15-2010, 14:46
maybe that solenoid is bad...

you have fuel coming in.....like Yukon said see if any is exiting the pump...via the return system...

Try to start it with the return line off...not too much comes out of mine

BamaChief600
05-16-2010, 17:33
Well had no fuel coming out of return...Pump is off and Im just going to send it to a local shop...........:mad:

rameye
05-18-2010, 04:45
You can get real good at taking these pumps off and on ....cant you!

BamaChief600
05-18-2010, 05:38
Yes, I think I had it off in 20 minutes....

BamaChief600
05-18-2010, 07:10
Initial diagnosis on pump is that the shaft is broken......

rameye
05-18-2010, 09:29
giver Gomers a call, if thats where you got it...they have some serious customer service...they took care of me when I had the main solenoid crap out on a brand new pump that was just over a year old.

glad it sounds like you figured it out!!

BamaChief600
05-19-2010, 16:12
Well the local shop has pulled the head and it is locked up. Thats what caused the shaft to break. As for why it locked up we have been looking for the source. One possible cause is that when I started it in the cold weather the fuel could have been gelled and couldnt pass it through the injector and that made the head fail. Im not sure really but I have not found anything out of the ordinary.
So I can go the reman route, rebuild, or new. $1100-$1600 range. This all does not make me a happy camper...........

Yukon6.2
05-19-2010, 23:50
Hi
If time isn't an issue shop around you should be able to get a decent deal on one,there is always eBay.I just got a new military db231 for $325 including the shipping,switch the shutoff solinoid for a 12volt one and i't ready for one of my trucks,should have ceramic plungers too which should be better with ULSD nowadays.
Thomas