PDA

View Full Version : Smokin' & Belchin'

TomEichenberger
01-14-2010, 18:32
It's been a long time since I posted anything, but anyway...

I have an '86 'Burb with a 6.5, 4911 DB2, and a Banks turbo. When cold, she smokes, you can see it diminish while warming up (No problem or hesitancy starting when cold, just smokes.) When she warmed up, she runs fine. If I drive to work,let it sit for the morning,hop in to go to lunch, eat lunch and start it, she grinds and grinds and,how do I say..."belches" a big cloud of white smoke as she catches, then runs fine.

Took it to my diesel mechanic who informed me that 7 out of 8 injectors were bad. Good things I had a set of surplus 6.2 injectors! Drove away, and man did she run great,until...

The next morning (temp. around 20-25), big cloud of white smoke, still "belching". Questions

-If it's glow plugs, whats up with the belching after sitting there for 1/2-1 hr. after running.
(Glow plug controller perhaps not heating up the 6.5 glow plugs.Glow plugs have not been changed out.)

-Fuel leak down? She does have an electric lift pump.

-Injection pump/solinoid problems?

-Compression?

I'm outta money,& at my wits end. Thanks

Robyn
01-14-2010, 20:07
The 86 originally had a glow inhibit switch, which was located on the top rear of the RH head.
Just opposite of the glow contoler and scews into the rear water port.

Removem the connector and jumper the thing.

Now dont confuse this with the similar unit thats in the Lower side of the RH head, this is the cold advance switch.

Now the glow controler will work every time the key is turned to ON.

Next, the injectors are likely just plain tired.

Yank them and have them tested for POP pressure and spray pattern.

Always be sure the fuel filter is good.

The truck should have a mechanical lift pump down on the RH front side corner of the engine.

Glow plugs can cause some smoking but if your gettin g it lit off OK then its probably the injectors.

Keep us posted

Missy

TomEichenberger
01-15-2010, 10:53
Thanks Robbin. So far ;new fuel filter, NOS 6.2 injectors. No telling how old the glow plugs are. You advise to "Jumper the thing",sorry ,jumper what to what. I'm a bit hesitant to leave the controller on not knowing the shape of the glow plugs.

I figure I'll have to bite the bullet and replace the plugs(and controller?) Any opinion(s) on WAP(formerly Wellman Automotive Products). Thanks