PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel exhaust manifold bolts

Mikey von
01-14-2010, 14:44
While reading MaxPF's CTD build tread, I noticed he uses stainless steel bolts on his exhaust manifolds. I would like to use new hardware on my exhaust manifolds and I am thinking of using stainless steel.

Anyone see any issues with this? Is there a special type of stainless that needs to be used?

Here is MaxPF's response to someone questioning the use of stainless steel bolts;

Also, I would very strongly suggest you pull out those stainless bolts and replace them with regular g8 steel. I have been down this road too and I can tell you it can be a nightmare. Stainless will gald after many heat cycles and you an have a mess on your hands. The antiseize will help, but still not a good idea on exhaust stuff. They snap so easily.

Interesting, since my experience has been the exact opposite. I have found that once alloy steel bolts (i.e. Grade 5,8 or metric 8.8,10.9) have gotten hot enough in an exhaust system they will often seize in their holes, and they end up having about as much strength as a Grade 2 bolt (if that) so they will twist off with very little effort. Anti-seize helps with later removal, but they still rust badly and have a tendency to lose their threads because they get so soft. Stainless pretty much maintains it's strength, and I haven't seen it have any tendency to gall. Then again, I always use anti-seize on exhaust bolts.

A good example are the headpipe bolts screwed into the manifolds of the 6.2 I just removed. When I installed that engine I used stainless steel bolts with anti-seize to hold the flanges onto the manifolds (one rusted alloy steel stud on one manifold and two on the other had broken during removal of the pipes in the original install). When I went to remove them yesterday they broke loose with the same approximate force as I had tightened them with and cleanly unscrewed from the manifolds. They were discolored from the heat, but none the worse for wear. I have never had a steel manifold flange bolt be that easy to remove even after only a month of use.

An example of the perils of alloy steel bolts is the 12mm exhaust manifold bolt my friend Brian broke off in the head of his 12V while trying to remove it with a 3/8" drive ratchet, or the 2 12mm turbo mount studs I broke off (and had to extract by TIG welding a nut to them) with a regular box end wrench. The bolts had become so soft it felt like I was twisting off aluminum. Anyone who has removed many exhaust fasteners knows exactly what I am talking about.

john8662
01-14-2010, 15:55
Not really sure here. I've really had great luck removing bolts from these engines. Maybe it's just luck. Doesn't seem to be a big problem. New bolts couldn't hurt, new oem that is.

It'd be intersting to hear anyone else with some experience with cast iron and stainless steel bolts.

JohnC
01-14-2010, 15:57
Look up Galvanic Corrosion or Dissimilar Metals Corrosion. You will find that a stainless steel fastener in an iron head is not a good choice. Sure, the fastener will have a good long life, but, it's at the expense of the iron head.

Reddog
01-14-2010, 19:07
Don't forget that stainless is quite a bit softer . If you are not very careful with the threads you can easily bung them or cross them.

DmaxMaverick
01-14-2010, 20:18
Stainless steel, heat cycling and dissimilar metal (iron heads) is a real bad combination. I'd rather chisel rust off bolt heads than deal with seized SS bolts in iron. SS has its place, but that ain't it!

Use some good ol' grade 8's/OEM with some nickel anti-seize (silver color - not copper) and keep them clean (or painted) where you don't want rust.

350Tacozilla
01-16-2010, 16:31
or you could do what I did to my one truck (i took it apart alot) I found a set of studs that were the right size and replaced all the header bolts with studs

they were the type that had a allen wrench socket in the end of them so you screwed them in or took them out with allen head wrench then you could break the nuts loose by putting a wrench on the nut, and allen wrench in stud to make sure it didnt try to back out on you... it was pretty expensive VS plain bolts but it made it alot easier to take the headers off

I used studs,small washers and nuts with little anti sieze on all the threads

when I ended up switching engines the studs all came out easily by putting two nuts on and jamming them together then using wrench on the inner nut and backing them out (didnt want to strip the allen head)