PDA

View Full Version : Where are the New GEP/AMgen blocks cast?

rameye
01-06-2010, 09:39
Shopping for my replacement engine...there is alot of junk to wade through!

So the question is...does anybody know where they actually cast the new style block?? is it in the US?? Canada??? other places??? Multiple places??

I asked one seller and he said that although GEP is in Franklin Ohio that they get the castings produced out of this country....???

What is the real deal?? How do I know if I'm getting a genuine inmproved block??

Thanks for the help..

I know there has been alot of discussion in the past, but it appears that others are now able to get their hands on the the AM gen blocks.,

rameye
01-07-2010, 16:27
anybody????

Buehler?

6.5TDTahoe
01-07-2010, 21:15
I would expect that Navastar has the job. They did the "6.5 Diamond" casting forAMG.The latest one,"400" will not fit our trucks without a very expensive one off fabricated engine oil pan. Buy an un-molested 599 block & live happy. Spend the $ saved for a forged crankshaft,Fluiddamper,camshaft gear drive set.Do the complete 1999/2000 final cooling system up grades.Devise an automatic de-fueling system to shutdown some power if coolant gets to 210 degrees & or 1100 EGT. Best to build an 18 to 1.CR . Thats my opinion!

rustyk
01-07-2010, 23:23
I have the AMG/Peninsular Diesel 6.5L TD in my 16K lb. motorhome. It's uprated to 230 HP/420 lb. ft. torque. 18:1 CR, gear camshaft drive. Shoving my coach up 6% grades at 15 psi boost, EGT is usually around 950°F. In the summer, it'll get to about 1,000°. Coolant gets to 215° and stays. Tranny temps hover around 210° under those conditions.

Robyn
01-09-2010, 09:19
With so much stuff being outsourced anymore I would not bet on anything.

Yesss Navistar did do the diamond blocks but who knows what AMG is doing behind closed doors.

The aftermarket castings I have seen are mighty sweet looking pieces.

The P400 that AMG is building is a lovely piece with that one piece lower main cap/girdle assembly.

Building a pan for it is not a biggy, just a little time and some tig welding.

My only reservation is the cash outlay for the P400 in the first place.

I too would say, Good 599 or 929 block, insert the center main outer bolts and install a forged crank, Fluid damper,etc.

Should be a wonderful little powerplant.

Best

Missy

Mikey von
01-09-2010, 21:24
I would expect that Navastar has the job. They did the "6.5 Diamond" casting forAMG.The latest one,"400" will not fit our trucks without a very expensive one off fabricated engine oil pan. Buy an un-molested 599 block & live happy. Spend the $ saved for a forged crankshaft,Fluiddamper,camshaft gear drive set.Do the complete 1999/2000 final cooling system up grades.Devise an automatic de-fueling system to shutdown some power if coolant gets to 210 degrees & or 1100 EGT. Best to build an 18 to 1.CR . Thats my opinion!

I understand that the p400 oil pan will not fit easily in the IFS trucks and subs, but they will fit 4x4 square body style solid axle trucks with little or no modification. Just want to get that out there as there have been some confusion about this.

Robyn
01-10-2010, 08:18
The P400 will not fit the GMT400 trucks unless a custom pan is fabricated.

The iisue is not a big one but it must be adressed.

OLD square bodies (straight axle trucks)

The P400 "should have enough room"

My concern with the P400 is that IIRC the oil sump (Pickup tube) is in the front of the pan, not the rear.

The HMMWV has the drive train sitting almost flat instead of at an angle as in the pickups, Burbs etc., hence the flat pan with the front sickup tube.

I have only seen one P400 in person and the pan is a cast aluminum unit that is totally different than the ones we are used to.

If you are going to install a P400 in an older truck, I think it will fit OK.

Robyn

rameye
01-12-2010, 05:07
I have a guy on E-bay...stating he is selling a genuine AMG castings, however he has to grind off all identifying marks or he cant resell them...he says the blocks are cast in South America ...pretty sure he said that...that ring true with anybody??

Robyn is working her magic on me...making me think if I have a good 599 I should just have it done right locally.....damn you Robyn! :)

Robyn
01-12-2010, 08:38
Genuine cast in China Me thinks

Hmmm "I have to grind off all markings" Wow

Definately not convinced that he is selling AMG stuff :eek:

Missy runs real fast.

At least Clearwater does not come up with some Cock and Bull story like that.

They advertise their stuff as AFTERMARKET CASTINGS.

A good 599 block is a great foundation if its either crack free or can be inserted to repair any cracks that may be in the lower end.

I would not hesitate to buy a Clearwater Block.

OH BTW I dont hold any stock in Clearwater Cyl head Company ;)

Just like the service I have received and the product has been good.

Missy

rameye
01-12-2010, 12:14
I hear you Robyn...this fella is very convincing...maybe selling promises he cant keep!

He is in Bostic North Carolina...apparently the machine work is done up here in the Northeast...he let it slip what town it is...funny I'm an inspector for the town he mentioned...going to check out the only place that can handle these, see if I can get a look at them.

here is his sales pitch...take a look ...poke holes in it..

cut and paste

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-5-L-6-5L-Diesel-NEW-ENGINE-BLOCK-Updated-Improved_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem25564eee81QQit emZ160361803393QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5 fAccessories

website

http://www.6-5liter.com/

see what you think....snake oil???

rameye
01-12-2010, 12:19
Oh yeah BTW...he is also selling brand new GEP engines too!

If you can beleive that..

Anybody near Bostic NC??

More Power
01-12-2010, 13:42
I don't really understand why those selling unlicensed/knock-off 6.5 blocks, wouldn't re-design the block casting to include a deep-skirt that captured the main caps like what the Duramax 6600 employs. This negates the need for any sort of block girdle.

Jim

rameye
01-12-2010, 13:58
With my limited knowledge of casting (only one project to date) I know it costs an absolute ton to change a blank...never mind the engineering costs.

I figure if this guy is legit, he is buying the casting from the foundry that is doing AM gen and they are requiring he remove all identifying marks otherwise it could be a licensing fiasco for the foundry.

If he is legit, I figure he is trying to cut into the Optimizer market with a cheaper equivalent product.

maybe JK has some insight....