PDA

View Full Version : When is Block Heat Required

Stratosurfer
01-05-2010, 07:03
I am down here in Central Texas and we have some Minnesota-like winter weather headed straight for us; Thurs and Friday are not supposed to get above 28F and down to single digits. Don't make fun Minnesotans, I know it's much colder up there, this is dang cold for us southerners.
THIS GLOBAL WARMING IS KILLING US DOWN SOUTH!!
I read the manual and other places and get conflicting data on when the OEM block heater should be used:
Is it SAFE to use it when ambient temp will be below 32F?? Or does it need to be much colder if left plugged in all night?
I don't want to damage any seals etc. by using it if it's not cold enough or leave it plugged in too long.
Thanks

john8662
01-05-2010, 08:08
You have two options.

Buy a HD timer to time around 1-2 hours of heat time before you get up in the morning and it needs to run.

Leave it plugged in for when you need it.

You won't hurt anything to leave it plugged overnight, even it it was 80 degrees outside. It's self regulating in that the heater element gets to a certain temp and that's it. Will it shorten the life to be plugged in all the time, certainly, just like everything else.

Plug it in if it's going to freeze, easier on everything.

I know what you mean about this northern weather here in TX. I don't like it either...

Robyn
01-05-2010, 08:38
A 6.2/6.5 thats in good shape and has a good fuel system thats healthy along with good glow plugs, a starter thats healthy and two good batteries should lite right off without heat well down below freezing.

I have lit the Old 94 Burb at 10F and it had been sitting for two weeks without being run and or plugged in.

Just plug the beast in and no worries.

I use the block heater on my big rig year round. Always have a warm engine and oil and much easier on it.

With temps like your looking at I would just plug it in and enjoy the benefits.

Missy

JohnC
01-05-2010, 09:29
I once started my 6.5 at -5F without the block heater. It wasn't by choice and it wasn't pretty, but it worked. I was using 5W-40 oil at the time.

If you're using 15W-40 and/or your truck has never seen the back side of 30 degrees, I'd plug it in if the temp drops much below 30. Problem is, southern trucks are an unknown as to how they will perform at colder temps.

AVM62
01-05-2010, 10:43
Plus the heat works a lot faster when you plug it in.

Mark Rinker
01-05-2010, 12:55
"plug it in plug it in"

Stratosurfer
01-05-2010, 19:01
Thanks all, especially Mark Pinker.
Those jingles are great for rememberin' stuff.

christophersond
01-06-2010, 08:15
Acutally, I was impressed that someone from Texas would even know what a block heater is--let alone use it!! I use a timer for my block heater, and it works great. However, each time I plug it in, I think about the fires that have been caused by faulty block heaters. I guess that is why we have insurance, eh?

Mark Rinker
01-06-2010, 08:49
...and fire resistant sheetrock for garages.

I have never plugged in a vehicle inside a garage. Mine are always outdoors. The wife's Pacifica gets inside treatment, as do the tools, lawn tractor, toys, but the trucks stay outside...just like the dog!

;)