PDA

View Full Version : SSDiesel 'Performance Air' kit delivers

markrinker
04-21-2005, 17:25
I recently upgraded truck #2 to SSDiesel's K&N style air filter and rubber 90 degree elbow. The product was a snap to install and required no mods to accomodate the CDR breather tube.

Wow, can you hear the turbo whistle now!

Best news: I observed a very solid 1 mpg increase today. Thats about +11% increase as I average ~8 to 9mpg loaded and have a VERY heavy highway foot running 70-75mph all day long.

This mileage increase was observed while towing a 25' dual axle trailer and cargo of about 8K.

It appears that the empty return trip may have yielded even better results - I'll report back when this tankful is replaced. The truck seemed to 'settle into a cruise' about 5mph faster than previous. Never realized it was working so hard to draw air before, especially at higher RPM empty highway cruising speeds.

Don't know why it took me so long to do this simple mod, I guess the $125 price is what appealed to me - I'll recoup the cost in fuel savings in about 15 tankfuls at these high diesel prices.

[ 04-21-2005, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

TurboTony
04-21-2005, 18:21
Lets see some pics of the setup.

I'm just itching to mod my truck. It's the only vehicle I have that I haven't played with yet.

Unless of course you count adjusting the pump timing :D

Tony

Scooby
04-22-2005, 02:06
I put the filter on my 96 and have liked the results also. I recently added the filter outer wrap and the restriction gauge. There is a long post about this filter on here from a few months ago. Some believe drawing underhood air will increase EGT. I havent noticed that, but I dont tow heavy, and have no big hills in Florida to pull. Mark, how does your EGT compare to before ??

ToddMeister
04-22-2005, 02:39
I also recently installed this filter on my 95 GMC. As Mark stated very easy to install and love the turbo whistle now. I'll snap a photo and post it here this weekend if no one else beats me to it. I haven't checked my mileage yet.

eracers999
04-22-2005, 03:06
Working on my own type of mod similar to your set up, in case anyone is interested i installed a filter minder restriction piece on my stock K&N flat panel.

It pulls 11 inches of restiction with a fresh filter, seems pretty high to me.

Kent

markrinker
04-22-2005, 03:38
EGTs under load were similar. EGTs empty at cruise speed of 75 were lower. I attribute this to less restriction.

Billman
04-22-2005, 06:06
Kent

11 inches seems more than high to me.

I think my stock '97 setup pulled 4 with a K&N.

eracers999
04-22-2005, 21:12
Billy

Seems rather tough to get a air box of newer design like yours, theres the proof that the newer air box doesent have as much restriction as the old style flat panel. This thing i own is going to have a decent flowing air filter and a aftercooler, i am somewhat alarmed at the intake temps and how quick they get there, 250 real quick in cool air, that aint going to be much longer.

Kent

G. Gearloose
04-23-2005, 13:19
Are you folks talking inches water or Mercury?
I ask because my modified '96 airbox sees no more than 1" Hg when flogging it...sampled at the first bend at the impeller blade warning, and wondered if it compares or if I have work to do if you're talking inches-water.

Billman
04-23-2005, 15:53
G.Gear

I'll speak for myself. Inches of Mercury.

Stock Box. 4"@15+ Boost. Remove the lid, 3"@15+.

Removed stock box. Fabricated my own smooth inlet to turbo. Haven't tested. If I had to guess, 1-2". It's much less restrictive than the factory piping.

G. Gearloose
04-23-2005, 16:31
Thank you for the reply, Billman. Good luck with your mods.

fshope
04-24-2005, 15:42
I have had by SS air filter for a about two months. It is GREAT!!! On my last post the heat issue seemed to be of major concern. With temps in New mexico getting warming I have not noticed any problems.

:cool:

RT
04-27-2005, 11:31
Where does one get a SS Diesel air filter setup? I have looked at the advertisers section and I don't see SS Diesel anywhere.... Thanks, RT

fshope
04-27-2005, 12:28
I went through Google search and typed in the name.

markrinker
04-27-2005, 14:00
Here's one of the ongoing Ebay 'auctions' for $125.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7970757816&category=33597&sspagename=WDVW

Journeydog
04-27-2005, 16:10
The 125 buckaroos seems a little stiff for one of these. Have any of you tried a setup from Intense Performance (http://www.intenseperformance.com/)? They cater to the Dodge gas world, but I'm sure they have something that would fit. I had one of their Stage III cool air kits on my Durango and transferred it to my 6.5 motorhome. Seems to work well, but I don't have any empirical data to back up any claims. Got to be better than the stock retangular box with the sometimes seal I had on my rig.

RT
04-29-2005, 16:34
I was hoping for a more complete kit than an elbow with a K&N type filter.... I can get a filter like that for $40-$50 so the additional $75 is for a rubber elbow??? Yeah I know it has the CDR inlet but geez. Thanks for the info though. I think I'll build my own. RT

markrinker
04-30-2005, 04:49
I am sure the guy is making a profit. Good for him.

So far, I have saved about $30 at the pump. It won't take long to recoup the cost in fuel savings alone, let alone the cost of paper filters every oil change.

RT
04-30-2005, 07:14
I have no issue with the guy making a profit. It just won't be from me. I suppose if you have neither the time or inclination to make your own its easier to buy a SSDiesel intake. But if you are inclined, www.airflow.com (http://www.airflow.com) and www.jaguarsthatrun.com (http://www.jaguarsthatrun.com) offer plenty of parts to do your own up. RT

markrinker
04-30-2005, 09:47
Yeah since I drive for a living, I tend to pay others for parts and labor and keep my head in my business making more money.

If I were driving for pleasure, I'd be more likely to spend the time fabricating.