PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 rebuild project completed!

jerry598
12-28-2009, 23:43
Road tested and began the break in process on my rebuilt 95 6.5 TD today. This was my 3rd startup of the engine. Everything worked like a charm, only one small coolant drip from a loose clamp. Ran it about 10 miles to town and back. Varied the RPM's alot, approached 2500 rpms several times but never over that. Sure nice to hear the sound of a good running 6.5 again.

Lost track of my costs, but I think I've got close to $4500 into this project.

Once more I would like to thank everybody for all of your help. Your support, feedback and expert advise made it possible for this novice to do a quality job! If it all comes apart for any reason, I'll let you know!

For those of you that are contemplating a rebuild of your own, be sure to check out Robyn's assembly/disassembly tips in the 6.5 tech forum. They were invaluable to me. You can read about my entire rebuild experience (including the nightmares and lost sleep) in the rest of my threads.

Will post a picture of the beast when I get it washed.

SmithvilleD
12-29-2009, 13:18
FWIW - once you've got it broken in & have driven it a few thousand miles, you do get some peace of mind for your rebuild efforts & expenditure. You'll know exactly what you've got for your truck's engine.

Certainly it takes some $ to do the engine. But if you also happen to enjoy the work, knowing you've got a solid engine makes you feel a little more confident in investing additional time & $ fixing up other things on an old truck.