PDA

View Full Version : Floppy gear shifter

Subzilla
12-28-2009, 07:28
All of the sudden, the '83 developed the bad case of the automatic gear selector floppyness! I'm not talking about the play between the gear numbers on the dash but rather the spring mechanism that keeps the gear lever pushed forward toward the dash. Whatever spring is present is obviously broken so the lever can sort of sit in the forward position or pulled back toward the driver.

It still shifts just fine but this safety feature of keeping the driver from accidently hitting the lever and pushing it over into reverse or park from the forward gear position is now gone. I can handle it like it is for now - no big deal.

BUT I'm wondering if ya'll can tell me what broke and what's involved in repairing it??

Subzilla
01-03-2010, 16:19
Help anybody?

More Power
01-04-2010, 11:52
Wish I could help, but I've not had a steering column apart yet...

Jim

DennisG01
01-06-2010, 06:28
compnine.com (thanks, Sven!) has online parts diagrams. Maybe you can find the appropriate one for that area? If they have it, at least you'd have a picture to look at.

raunch
01-08-2010, 07:58
The same thing just happened to me and I've been looking over the diagrams in my Chiltons manual. The diagrams are just OK-I cannot tell from them exactly which part it is. But there is info on how to tear into the column to get to the part. One of these days I'll get to it, but not anytime soon, as I can also live with it. I've got plenty of other things to do that are more important. But if I get to it first, I'll be sure to post what I find out.

Subzilla
01-08-2010, 09:19
Thanks for the responses! Yup, it's not real critical to repair so it's way down on the Suburban's bucket list. Funny how yours, raunch, is also an '83 K20. I'll also let you if and when I get to it!