PDA

View Full Version : 95 vin F compatible w/vin Y engine?

ff43sc
09-13-2005, 11:52
the motor I picked up from salvage yard is supposed to be same as my vin F 95 engine... I determined this was a vin Y from a 95 gm van, are these compatible engines/heads, the yard told me I can transfer my turbo, and all components onto this engine with no problem...is this true?? the vin y motor was non-turbo, mechanical inj pump...my vin f I'm replacing is turbo, w/electronic inj pump. any help would be appreciated, thanks. sc

john8662
09-13-2005, 12:57
If it was a turbo model then it wouldn't work, but since it's the n/a version of the van engine it will work great, as long as it's got the EFI pump on it, because you'll need the reluctor wheel under the timing cover.

If it was mechanical injection, then you'll get to swap out the front timing cover.

ff43sc
09-13-2005, 13:33
my bad motor had electronic i/p, this vin y Van motor had mechanical, so I have to swap timing cover and reluctor wheel, then my electronic injection pump will work with the Y motor??...i know i have to install my intake manifold, crank sensor, move OPS to rear of l head and any other electronic parts that didn't come on the non-turbo model...does it not matter that the new engine wasn't turbo? one person said I couldn't make a non-turbo engine into a turbo due to different compression..? email me at FF43SC@AOL.COM if you want to save time. thanks for your help.

john8662
09-13-2005, 17:48
Yes, you've got it.

You're going to have to remove the timing cover and install the reluctor wheel from your old engine. Then, you'll install the timing cover from your electronic engine so that you will be able to use the crank position sensor that reads off the relcutor wheel that mounts on the crankshaft.

Just an FYI, since you're going to all the trouble of installing the reluctor wheel and timing cover, just go ahead and upgrade the timing set to the gear drive. This can be purchased directly from DSD www.dieselservice.com (http://www.dieselservice.com) or, you can get them from Kennedy Diesel www.kennedydiesel.com, (http://www.kennedydiesel.com,) I think you can get a better deal from Kennedy if i'm no mistaken.

The engines will be almost identical inside, the only difference that I'm aware of internally is going to the the pre combustion chambers in the heads might have the slightly smaller output hole. The Turbo model precups will have a "T" stamped in them, and the latest cups have a Diamond shaped emblem on them. There won't be any difference in engine performance between the the n/a cups and the T cups, well none that you will be able to feel.

It's a bit of work, but you can make yourself a good runner out of the van engine.

ff43sc
09-13-2005, 18:11
ok,, thanks again for the info, this engine is supposed to only have 40,000 miles. I have read several posts about 3/8" oil outlets, this engine has larger fittings, so do you think this engine has been rebuilt..would I need the timing upgrade(not sure what cost is..) or how long it would take to get it? since you've been so helpful with all my other questions, does the injector pump fit into a notch or does engine have to be TDC on a certain cylinder to install the electronic pump, one person told me the crank position sensor will tell computer what position it's installed in, so doesn't matter how installed..I can do most mech work, but not familiar with 6.5l inside and out...thanks again.

john8662
09-16-2005, 09:05
The early blocks (like your 95) had 3/8" NPT connections to the block, so if it's got a 5/8" connection on it, then it's a 97+ block and most likely a replacement engine.

The larger oil cooler line ports will cause problems in using your existing cooler lines. There are adaptors available for using your old lines from GM.

Since you have the block in your possession, could you provide me with the casting number on the back of the block. That will help me better determine what you're working with here. The number I'm looking for will be on the rear of the engine, on the driver's side of the engine, or to the rear of #7 cylinder. It will be found on the block, not the heads, and it's on a pad next to the oil pressure sender location.

As for the injection pump questions, all you have to do is line the notch up with the oval shaped hole in the timing gear and that's it.

ff43sc
09-16-2005, 10:04
john, this definitely has the larger 5/8" outlets...this is a 141 block...thanks again for all the info, I hope to have these engines swapped in the next week or so, yesterday, I finally got ahold of a diesel mech who did other work for me and he will probably do the swap, I can do it but he can obviously do it quicker as he's well versed on the 6.5l, thanks again.

ff43sc
09-21-2005, 18:06
john, do you have any diagrams of how to line up the reluctor gear, or is there any lineup technique/marks? so far haven't found any books/diagrams....don't want to mess something up by not aligning it with the timing gears..if you have any links to online info, let me know, thanks.