PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 running rough suddenly

xcdropout
12-11-2009, 12:51
I was hoping someone might have some info on an issue I am having. I have an 85' 6.2 and it started to run terrible while I was plowing last night. It ran great for about two hours, then it started to loose power until it just shut down. I first though my fuel had gelled up. The truck then started and would only run about 20mph for about one mile, it would then die out again. I would wait about a minute and it would start again but with the same issue. It took 10 stop/restarts to get home. I parked it in a heated garage all day and it still does the same thing. I'm new to the diesel thing and I can't quite figure it out. Thanks, Adam

JohnC
12-11-2009, 19:27
How's the vent on the fuel cap?

xcdropout
12-11-2009, 23:22
I'll have to check the cap in the morning. I had it off at one point when I was blowing air through my return line, so I don't think that would be the problem.

NH2112
12-12-2009, 07:14
If the fuel is gelled, it can take longer than a day to re-liquify. Best thing to do is replace the fuel filter and dump a quart of Diesel 911 in the tank.

xcdropout
12-12-2009, 12:02
Ok I got it running finally. It turned out to be a fitting on my return line was clogged. Runs great now! Thanks for the ideas for next time.