PDA

View Full Version : Turbo wastegate solenoid & EGR fault codes

fastcat800
04-20-2005, 14:23
I finally got around to checking my ses light codes and I am getting a #32, #33, and #78 - Turbo wastegate solenoid fault. I don't have a boost gage yet. What is the waste gate solenoid? Sounds like the valve that controls the vacumm to the wastegate. Engine is stock except for non EGR manifold. The light usually comes on under deceleration or very light throttle and goes off when you get back on the throttle. The other two are EGR codes and I am not worried about them as it is gone now and I plugged the vacumm line. I cleared the memory so I will see if they (the EGR codes) come back when I check it after I drive it again tomorrow.

[ 04-22-2005, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Dave Schumacher ]

charliepeterson
04-20-2005, 18:26
Looking at the solenoid "tree" the two rear ones are for the EGR circuit. The front one is for the Waste Gate. These solenoids fail due to heat mostly.

Try moving the Turbo Waste Gate rod with the engine off. It should move freely. Now start the truck and try it again. It shouldn't move freely. Another way to test is with a vacuum Guage. Start at the vacuum pump, line to the solenoid then at the waste gate itself. You might loose a little vacuum along the way but not too much. A reading of 20"-25" is good.

The last way to test is to turn the right side mirror down so you can see the exhaust pipe. Take it up to cruising speed and "punch it". If the solenoid is dead than the smoke will be black and heavy. All three solenoids should have 12 volts on the "A" pin

You've got two options now if the solenoid is dead. Replace it or replace the waste gate pod with a spring loaded adjustable one and never worry about this again.

fastcat800
04-21-2005, 07:11
I have pulled on the wastegate control rod and it moves preaty easily. I haven't aimed the mirror down, but I have watched for smoke and haven't noticed any. I would like to go with the manual one and get a boost gage. Who makes the manual conversion you are thinking of and how much boost can I safely run with my stock engine and no EGT gage? The only mod I have is a hole in the top of my air cleaner box and the non EGR manifold. Since the EGR and the stock wastegate control will be gone can I remove the vacumm pump or do I still need it for the heater controls? Once the vacumm wastegate control is gone will it still throw a wastegate solenoid fault code without a new chip?

Kennedy
04-21-2005, 08:03
My suggestion would be to check/replace the vacuum pump as needed and same with the WG solenoid. This will keep the computer happy and allow dynamic ontrol of boost.

fastcat800
04-21-2005, 10:16
Doesn't the stock vacumm controled wastegate tend to hunt a lot? I don't have the money to buy a chip right now so I am looking for the best bang for the buck and may never add one. This thing has so much more power than my previous 360 Mopar gaser it should keep me happy for a long time. I am most concerned about mileage. I checked my vacumm pump and it almost pegs my vacumm gage and I can move the rod when it's not running. The rod does not move once I start the truck. I am going for a drive now so I will see if it throws any codes and check them when I return if it does. The wastegate solenoid and one of the EGR solenoids have white dots on them, the other EGR one is red. Can I swap them around to try the EGR (white dot)one on my wastegate?

[ 04-22-2005, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Dave Schumacher ]

fastcat800
04-21-2005, 16:04
Light comes on same as before. Checked and have codes 32 & 33 now. What causes these codes to come on.

[ 04-22-2005, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Dave Schumacher ]

Dvldog 8793
04-22-2005, 04:20
Howdy
I removed my vac system. I run the Heath turbo master mechanical boost control and it works great. I also have had the JK electronic boost control and also worked great. I removed the vac pump and run a shorter serp belt and have had NO problems. My truck is 1999 so I don't know if any of the parts will change over but if they do you are wlecome to whatever you need. I'm just north of you in Grand Rapids. If you get up this way I'm sure we could figure out what is going on. Then again the 1994 might be a whole different animal than what I'm used to. I'm not sure when they stopped using the vac to control the climate controls but if you trace the vac lines from the pump you should be able to find out what goes where. I have a Waistgate control, vac module, vac pump and all lines for a 1999 3500(non egr) truck. Let me know if I can help....
L8r
Conley

fastcat800
04-22-2005, 09:32
Thanks for the offer Conley. I do know a guy in Grand Rapids who comes to Mpls almost every week so he could deliver parts, but I don't think I need anything you have. All I need to do for now is figure out why I am throwing the EGR codes all the time. I am tired of the SES light. I need to know what sensors are causing the codes to appear so I can jumper them or unplug them. The wastegate code could have been from before I change the intake manifold and is no longer and issue. I will continue to check the codes weekly to see if it reappears.

Dvldog 8793
04-22-2005, 12:02
Forgot to mention that I also have a JK boost control that I probably could sell.
L8r
Conley

David Brady
04-26-2005, 19:45
Dave did you get it figured out yet? There is another sensor that checks atmospheric pressure on these and if that's not hooked up it can be a problem. With mine I just plugged the vacuum line that ran to the EGR. I had it connected for a while and I couldn't understand why it would vary the boost under steady highway speeds, so I plugged it off.

fastcat800
04-27-2005, 08:55
No, I have not got it figured out yet. I am still throwing the EGR codes as before. I have the EGR line plugged. The truck has had the same problem ever since I bought it in Dec so I am kinda used to seeing the SES light but I am getting tired of looking at it.