PDA

View Full Version : 24 V IP vs 12 V IP

Grumpy649
12-01-2009, 21:47
First of all I have spent the last couple of hours searching this forum and haven't been able to pin down my question, I did get close.

Background: changing out a civilian 6.2 with a military 6.2 in an 86 C20.

I noticed that the electrical connections on the military version (24V) are single pin and the existing civilian (12V) are the blade type. In the article that describes turning up an IP removes the cover assembly to access the adjusting screw. I'm not going there yet. So here's my question, can the covers be interchanged to convert the military IP to 12V? This way I figure I won't be messing with the timing just changing the cold idle and shut off solenoids. I've got two candidates to choose from, an 82 and the lunched 86.

dealwithit
12-01-2009, 23:19
yes i believe it is that simple, if not im pretty sure you can just change the solenoid in the cover itself

Robyn
12-02-2009, 07:33
X2

Yes thats the only difference in these pumps.

Swap the solenoids/cover and good to go.

Missy

Grumpy649
12-02-2009, 07:38
Thanks for the confirmation! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Yukon6.2
12-02-2009, 08:52
HI
When you change the cover/or change the shut off solinoid,be very carefull when reinstalling the cover.You have to make sure that you get it on right or you will end up with a runaway motor you wouln't be able to shut off.I changed mine on my truck,and i belive i had to set the cover down then pull it slightly towards the front of the truck.
To make sure ,have a backup plan to get the motor shut down.Like diconecting the fuel supply ect.
Good luck
Thomas