PDA

View Full Version : water injection pressures

carco
11-24-2009, 16:41
I have installed water injection/washer fluid and there is a definite improvement in power when the injection starts about 16 psi, so much so, that I now have a question.

Does any one know and or care to guess how much extra cylinder combustion pressure may be generated above stock or above say level 1 Edge. Maybe too much? Shorten engine life considerably? Head gasket survival? Use in moderation or don't worry, pour in the water and just drive.

crashz
11-24-2009, 17:58
I'm curious, as I know very little about these systems too.

I thought the the benefit of these systems was to reduce intake & exhaust temps (allowing more fuel delivery), burn fuel more effectively (methanol being a catalist) and slightly increase cylinder pressure with the steam effect.

So I guess it depends on the power developed when the system is on. I guess if you are pumping out 600 HP constantly, it will wear on the engine more than stock. On the other hand, it may be easier on the engine(cooler) than making 600 HP with fuel and boost alone.

carco
11-25-2009, 05:48
crashz, I concur with what you said, but have been so surprised by the marked difference the H2O injection makes. When the indicator light comes on the power is quite noticeable.
I know that cylinder pressures have to be increased but is the steam effect severe enough to cause problems??

My main reason to add was to cool intake charge on hard pulls @ over 20000#gvw. I do not know the outcome of this benefit as of now.

havenopower
01-30-2010, 00:05
water meth is great only thing out there that can lower egts and gain a little power. remember that the water is atomizing and all its doing is msking the air cooler. yes meth does create a better burn.

cowboywildbill
02-19-2010, 04:52
And as it turns to steam, it is most likely adding compression as it expands in the cylinder.
And from what I've seen of pictures on gas and diesel engines with the heads off after running water injection, the pistons and heads looked really clean, almost like they were new.