PDA

View Full Version : MAG HI-TEC DIFF COVER

DA BIG ONE
04-20-2005, 13:45
Well, I find out the MAG HI-TEC differential cover does not clear the fuel tank skid plate on my burb during situations where the suspension is compressed, or one wheel, or the other is up and the other is down when going over a rut diagonally.

Anyway, I hope I can remove the top 3" of center cooling fins, then taper them another 3 or so".

More Power
04-20-2005, 14:08
Tanker installed a Mag-HyTec diff cover on his 1995 2500 series Suburban with 10.5" FF rear diff. Don't remember him commenting on clearance issues.

Is the fuel tank shield on correctly? Can you trim it?

MP

DA BIG ONE
04-20-2005, 20:23
Originally posted by More Power:
Tanker installed a Mag-HyTec diff cover on his 1995 2500 series Suburban with 10.5" FF rear diff. Don't remember him commenting on clearance issues.

Is the fuel tank shield on correctly? Can you trim it?

MP Fuel tank skid plate is on correctly.

Looking at the rear cover from the back you cannot tell it is hitting at the top edge center 3 fins. How I found out was when I was greasing the front end I decided to check driveshaft for fittings and saw the skid plate had marks from something hitting it. Only hits at extreme angles or full compression of rear suspension.

After looking at the cover more I decided my first thoughts of taking quite a bit of the fins off is not required. I maybe able to get away with grinding about 1.5" from the top of the 3 fins that are hitting by grinding them tight into cover at the upper edge, the sealing that area of aluminum from the elements.

More Power
04-21-2005, 07:56
I would recommend contacting Mag-Hytec about your findings. I'm sure the owner, Roy Rothlisburger, would be interested to know about the clearance issue. He may have a solution.

MP

Dvldog 8793
04-21-2005, 08:33
Howdy
I would contact the company as they have ALWAYS been great as far as customer service is concerned. If it was mine I think I would try to modify the skid plate rather than my $$$$cover.
L8r
Conley
USMC87-93

DA BIG ONE
04-21-2005, 13:37
I contacted them, they say they had 1 other burb w/same issue. It has been decided that I will indent skid plate in that area, so I do not weaken cover.

They also said, they would change out the unit if it is cracked or starts to leak. I can't ask for more than this!

Thanks for the input!