PDA

View Full Version : 08 won't start "Service Theft Deterrent System"

dustinmundell
11-13-2009, 18:24
Yeah so I have an 08 3500HD with just over 50,000 miles and I get a call from my wife tonight that the truck wont start.

She went to the store for about an hour and when she came back out she used the keyless to unlock it, buckled the kids and tried to start it and the engine does not crank. All the lights come on on the dash like normal but no crank, turns the key again and it cranks for a split second just a starter "bump". The DIC (driver information center) now says "Service Theft Deterrent System" and there is a light lit up that is of a car with a pad lock.

I swing by the house on the way to see what is going on after I call the dealer and they think it might be a problem with the chip in the key. I grab the other key and head to town.... Same thing. Pull it to the shop with my Jeep Cherokee and they plug into it with a laptop and run an update on the ECM for a similar issue that is under warranty. Same thing DIC still says "Service Theft Deterrent System". He plugs into it with a scanner to clear codes and can't clear codes!!!! By this time it is closing time and they will get to it when they can..... short on techs tomorrow not to mention it is going to be Saturday.

Anyone else have or hear of problems like this????

Thanks!

More Power
11-20-2009, 20:09
Do you still have an OnStar account? They would be able to help.

Jim

aGraham21
12-18-2009, 06:02
I am having a similar problem right now. Although my engine turns over. The BCM reads a problem with the security system and it will not let the truck start. Did you find out what the fix is?

madmatt
12-18-2009, 08:11
have you had the recall done

aGraham21
12-18-2009, 08:13
I have not heard of a recall on the passlok system. Can you give me more info?

madmatt
12-18-2009, 10:21
sorry,, thought you had a similar 08ish truck.

WyoDutch
12-20-2009, 19:05
Man... can you imagine the legal feeding frenzy if you were taking Uncle Albert to the hospital when the FUBAR occured and Uncle Albert passed away in the passengers seat?

Kennedy
12-24-2009, 08:10
have you had the recall done

Yes like madmatt stated there was a recall letter sent, but it seems many ignored this. By the discussion in the original post it sounds like they did this for you but only after the incident.

Now the question is will it fix the issue straight up or not? Apparently not. My guess is that it's either a bad ECM or it may simply be fixed by doing a theft deterrent learn.

FYI: Not sure which models use a key chip for VATS, but the Dmax did not last I checked.

I think they lumped the update into this description: 12628596 40A9CD5D EEPROM Fix, DTCs P062F, P0633, replaces all previously released software.