PDA

View Full Version : Fuel sending unit

sharecropper
11-13-2009, 12:51
My '86 M1008 runs great, but the fuel guage don't work. I have narrowed it down to a faulty tank sender, however GM no longer offers the replacement part. Any suggestions on where I can obtain one?

Thanks.

DmaxMaverick
11-13-2009, 13:42
Does the gage respond, at all? If it does, then there's an easy fix. While sending units do fail, the most common problem is wiring, connectors, or the gage itself. [dead link removed].

Otherwise, the sending units are available. Napa may still carry them, and there are other sources.

HillBilly2
11-14-2009, 06:11
Does the gage respond, at all? If it does, then there's an easy fix. While sending units do fail, the most common problem is wiring, connectors, or the gage itself. You may find a (cheap) solution HERE (http://www.fix-a-gauge.com/).

Otherwise, the sending units are available. Napa may still carry them, and there are other sources.

Your link's been hijacked. Could you elaborate on this easy fix a little?

DmaxMaverick
11-14-2009, 11:28
Sure enough. I should have checked it first.

Anyway, the repair is replacing the resistor at the back of the gage. I don't know the resistor rating off hand, but a trip to Radio Shack with gage in hand, then a little soldering should do it. The Fix-A-Gage kits had the parts and instructions to do it. I've repaired a few of these years ago, and it isn't at all difficult if you are minimally electrically inclined.

The symptoms of the failed resistor is usually a gage that doesn't read above 1/4 tank, but swings between E and 1/4, or a gage that stays well below E (straight down to about 8 O'clock) with no response. It is too cheap to not try a simple repair like this. Replacement gages are very expensive, and if it is the gage, replacing the sender won't help.

sharecropper
11-16-2009, 21:25
My guage indicates full all the time. I have purchased a new tank sending unit from AC-Direct and will install it next week. Stay tuned.