PDA

View Full Version : Dirty intake question??

Jcolg
04-20-2005, 04:07
I removed the intake tube that runs from the output of the turbo and attaches to the top of the engine in order to gain better access to my PMD harness plug. If someone could tell me the correct name of that tube I'd appreciate it. Anyway, at the end of the tube where it attaches to the intake manifold there are two circular openings through which air from the turbo goes into the intake. I was surprised to find a considerable build up of black gooy crud at the end of this tube, just where it attaches to the intake. One side was worst then the other. The stuff was soft and came out easily, I removed it and cleaned it up with varsol and reinstalled it. I was wondering there this stuff might have came from and I'm thinking that it is formed from the crankcase fumes that the EGR valve feeds back into the intake. Just got the truck last December so I don't know how long it's been since someone had this off. Is this a normal thing to have happen? I probably removed 2 tablespoons of the stuff in total. BTW the truck runs fine, no codes and uses very little oil. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

G. Gearloose
04-20-2005, 04:51
I think you made out pretty good with just two tablespoons. Its an egr thing and quite normal.

GMC Hauler
04-20-2005, 05:09
I believe the name of that part is the upper intake manifold. smile.gif

gvt
04-21-2005, 08:37
Jcolg,
I believe that goo is indeed caused by the egr. Since I only use my truck off-road ;) I've done away with that pesky egr. I had the pcm reflashed as an L65 and disconnected the egr solenoid. In addition, just a few weeks ago I removed all of that excess metal in the upper intake plenum that causes the engine to breath through those two little holes. Seems to run better, but it may all be in head!!! :D

Scooby
04-22-2005, 02:15
I made a plate to replace the EGR valve on my 96. I did this before I changed to the Heath computer. I did NOT unplug the solenoids. I ran this way for almost 1 year, with no codes. I think as long as you leave the solenoids hooked up, you wont get a code- I did get one when I unplugged the EGR solenoid. I also opened up the inside of the inlet, and removed the excess metal (web) where the upper bolts to the lower manifold.

gvt
04-22-2005, 08:03
Scooby,
You are correct, if you are still running the L56 programming. I've reflashed mine to an L65.