PDA

View Full Version : Kingpin style Dana 60

gophergunner
10-22-2009, 21:26
Just how strong is a Dana 60 front axle with kingpins?

I think my biggest concern would be the kingpins and wheel bearings.

Diff is from a 1985 GMC 1 ton, will it be able to handle the weight of a steel 6V-53 Detroit Diesel? At around or just under 2000 lbs of motor it seems like a lot for a front end. But then again, could it be any worse than a cummins in a truck with a snow plow on the front end?

Will I be going through wheel bearings like crazy, be wearing out the kingpins every month or anything like that?

Just curious what everyone else thinks.

DmaxMaverick
10-23-2009, 00:45
Ball joints perhaps, but not bearings or pins. The axle will handle the weight. The steering components will be the week link. If you want a more capable front end, you'll have to snatch one from a medium duty truck.

gophergunner
10-24-2009, 11:26
Hey thank you for the info.

I thought about a larger front axle, or something from a medium duty truck. But that opens up a whole new can of worms. And (as far as I know) there wouldn't be as much selection for gear ratios if I needed to change.

Thanks again though!

crashz
10-27-2009, 12:36
The pre-ball joint Dana 60 front axles use a roller bearing on the bottom of the knuckle joint and conical bushings at the top. What you may have is the weight of the front end will squeeze the plastic bushings up along the cones and the tires will lean inward at the top (lots of negative camber). The plastic bushings are held in place with springs and a retainer cap. Some shims to adjust the pressure on the springs will help. I had custom brass bushings made for my 83 and I'd like to have some made for the 87 as well. Needs a few other things first.

I believe the lightest front GAWR that I've seen for a truck with a D60 is 5200 lbs, so with 2K of engine and another approximate 2500 of truck, you have a little left over for load. My trucks both list a front GAWR of 6000 lbs. So sounds like you should be fine as long as you aren't loaded heavily or mount a snow plow.