PDA

View Full Version : 700r4 pouring oil from bellhousing

SimonUK
10-18-2009, 02:09
Fitted the 700r4 from my old blazer into the cucv. Drove great for a week then last night it dumped all the tranny fluid out the bellhousing. am just going out to pull the tranny again but was wondering if anybody had any ideas.

I can rebuild manual gearboxes no problem but autos are a bit of a nightmare.

Simon.

DaveBr
10-18-2009, 12:22
Only 2 ways I know of for fluid to get into bell housing is through the front seal of tranny or the TC cracked or warped. When you reinstall the tranny make sure you change the front seal and put the TC properly into the tranny. After bell housing is bolted to engine then bolt TC to flywheel.

SimonUK
10-18-2009, 23:03
Thamks for the reply Dave. Did a bit of googling yesterday and concluded its going to be very cheap to repair or very expensive if its the tc thats cracked.

Will find out tonight after work if it stops raining. Was dry all weekend but as soon as I have to put a spanner near the car it starts to rain

Regards Simon

Robyn
10-19-2009, 06:37
Likely its the front pump seal that went south.

Any time the converter is removed and then reinstalled the seal should be replaced, especially if the thing has any amount of miles on it.

Yank the tranny and pull the converter off.

It should be quite obvious if it was the seal that went away.

Use a suitable tool to remove and replace the seal.

When reinstalling the converter, stick the converter on the stator support and spin the converter around while pushing gently inward. The converter will go in in a couple of stages and finally come to rest fully seated.

When replacing the tranny, once the tranny is seated to the engine the converter should have a little free play behind the flex plate. Slide it forward and install the bolts.

If the converter hits before the bell housing is up tight it means the converter is not fully seated.

Good luck

Robyn

SimonUK
10-24-2009, 23:36
Thanks Robyn.

Yeah the seal went south alright. Got a replacement from a local tranny shop late on Friday only to find it was the wrong one and you guessed it by the time I got back they'd shut up shop for the weekend and I need the car running for Sunday night.

Will have to put the 400 back in. No other choice.

Simon.

Robyn
10-25-2009, 07:35
Normally these seals dont just fail.
The pump bushing may have issues as well.

While the tranny is out I would be checking the snout on the converter and the bushing

Missy

SimonUK
10-27-2009, 11:22
Hi robyn,

The tranny has been 'resting' for the past 15 years or so and the tc was removed for some of that time.

I fitted it to the cucv after a 3 month old u/j failed and took out the transfer box. It ran for a week locally with no problems though i didn't go too far maybe 15 miles at the most. Then the one time I decide all's well and headed for the stock car racing 83 miles away the seal fails and I have to get the train from where I broke down to where I work to borrow one of the trucks to recover it.

When I compare the old and new seals you can see how worn the old one is, about 2mm greater in diameter than the sealing edge of the new one.

Regards from very wet and windy Scotland.

Simon