PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade update! Thanks TDP

99gmccrew
04-19-2005, 15:50
Howdy all, I just wanted relay the performance I had just experienced on a trip with my 6.5l. I've been adding performance upgrades slowly but surely since I've owned this truck. I've come to rely heavily on the information I have gathered on this forum and I feel joining TDP was the best move I could have made for getting this truck to perform the way it did this weekend.

I towed a 24' boat, a golfcart and entire family to Lake Havasu. My truck ran like a champ because of the mods I installed after learning about them here. With the intercooler (thanks RonnieJoe) my egt's NEVER got over 900F (pre-turbo) even when floored traveling up 6% grades out in the desert near Palm Springs. The exhaust and intake really helped the intercooler do its job better also.

The JK boost controller performed flawlessly and steadily maintained 15-16psi while climbing the grades.

My gauges made me feel comfortable during the entire trip knowing my boost psi, egt's (most important), and trans temp.

With the addition of the 3.73's gear set (thanks Billman)cruising at highway speeds was much quieter and occasionally dropping into 3rd gear was not a problem still keeping up with traffic and able to still pass the big rigs fairly easily.

My trans temp only climbed to 190F once, compared to nearly 230 before the shift kit and deep trans pan mods(thanks BillyV and tbogmirep). Just to be fair the temps were not as hot this weekend as they were last July.

I had problems in the past with fishbiting misses and surging, so I purchased a new PMD, bought an extension from Bill Heath and made my own heat sink which I mounted behind the front bumper. No misses or surging since doing this(thanks Da Big One). I get out of the vehicle and touch the "FSD" and it is nice and cool to the touch. What a great feeling.

I don't know if this was just a coincidence, but I was not passed by anyone towing in a pick-up truck this weekend. But I do remember passing several on the way up and back. I specifically remember passing several Dodge Turbo diesels.
But they may have just been cruising at their leisure :D . I would love to hear of any similar experiences.

Thanks TDP members, I couldn't have done it without the invaluble info found here.

99gmccrew

Dvldog 8793
04-19-2005, 18:31
Howdy
I normal pull is a trailer and ASV that weighs in at around 10-12000lbs depending on the day and what attatchments are needed. I have never pulled this trailer with anything other than my 6.5 until last summer I used my welding rig and it was a complete DOG compared to the 6.5 Granted that truck has only a hopped up 350. I have also had coments from friends that my truck would walk all over their big block gassers. The only Diesel that can outrun my truck locally is a older Ford P/S that is running a banks and Propane + who knows what else.
L8r
Conley

99gmccrew
04-19-2005, 20:31
Dvldog, do you think that setting my timing to
-1.94 would help my truck even further? I don't have the reflashed ecm.

Thanks
99gmccrew

TurboDiverArt
04-20-2005, 01:25
I'll be towing my racecar out to Norwalk OH next weekend. Well, that is if I ever get my transmission in the car fixed.... Since putting the boost fooler on I towed once last year to MD and I noticed a big difference in mileage and lower EGT's and it was nice to hear the turbo at the slightest hit of the throttle! I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how the 10-hour tow goes! Towing weight would be about 13,500lbs.

Art.

Billman
04-20-2005, 02:51

Good to hear.

Get a Re-Flash and it will make your towing experience even better.

If you can believe it...

Dvldog 8793
04-20-2005, 03:46
Howdy
For a long time no body made a Flashed ECM for the "99 trucks. Supposedly this was because there wasn't that much room for improvement. I ran almost all my same mods without the ECM and can tell you that there is ROOM for improvement. The ECM that I have really works great. I wish I would have put it on a dyno for before and after but I never did. It is a seat-of-the-pants defference. By turning up the boost you also need to get more fuel. To do this right you need to get some different injectors and a new program in the ECM. Myu current injectors are JK Hi-pops but sometime this summer I am switching to some Marine bosch 300hp injectors. The timing thing seems to make the truck's response allot crisper.My truck also has no vac system.
L8r
Conley