PDA

View Full Version : Removing MAF sensor

BigDiesel
10-15-2009, 02:33
I got my new AFE stage 2 intake today and will be getting my Non egr intake tomorrow. I want to install this stuff and then drive to westers(1 1/2 hrs) for the programming change. Will removing the MAF sensor and egr intake set up put me into limp mode or will it just throw a code?
Thanks
Dave

john8662
10-15-2009, 07:02
Please update your signature of what you're working on.

The 1997 and up L56 engines had the Mass Air Flow sensor on the air inlet, looks just like the device on the gassers.

You could always just unplug it now an see if it puts it in limp mode before going to all the trouble of swapping out the components. The AFE setup is not designed to use the MAF sensor, so I see the dilemma.

I don't think it'll do anything other than set a code, but try it and report back. These aren't common trucks with the L56 and MAF.

J

DmaxMaverick
10-15-2009, 07:58
If you are going all the way to Wester's, ask them to reflash your PCM to reflect the absence of the missing EGR control. This will also eliminate the MAF (which is ONLY used for EGR sensing). Or, stash your OEM PCM, go to a wrecking yard and buy a PCM from a truck the same as yours (including the year model), except with the L65 engine (like from a 2500HD or 3500). Wester's may have core PCM's for sale, as well. A worthwhile investment. As long as the equipment options are the same, it'll plug right in without complaint. While an EGR fault can, and occasionally does, cause limp mode, it normally doesn't. The problem with having the SES lamp on all the time for known issues, you won't see when the SES comes on when you have a real problem. There's only one lamp, regardless of how many codes get thrown. Probably not a real big deal, but it could make the difference between a minor tranny repair, and a complete tranny overhaul, for example. The SES does have an "emergency" mode, when it flashes repeatedly, but that will only happen when the PCM indicates a problem likely to damage the converter (this will cause defueling and limp mode).