PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump shaft retainer/collar question

jerry598
10-13-2009, 17:52
What is the purpose of that little plastic piece that sits on the top of the oil pump and looks like a collar around the base of the pump drive shaft? Is it supposed to lock the shaft down and keep it from moving up and out of the pump? Should it be replaced during a rebuild?

Mine old one looks OK but if I turn the pump upside down the shaft will fall out, and my local dealer doesn't want to order a packet of 20 just to sell me a single one.

john8662
10-13-2009, 20:52
Go down to any auto parts store and tell them you need one for a Small Block Chevy. It's the same plastic piece, it should also be replaced if re-using the oil pump. Most of the stores have them, been there done that.

It's there to keep the rod in the pump when removing a vacuum pump or an oil pump drive. This is also usefull to have in there and being secure in the pump even you're going to PRIME the engine before running :rolleyes:.

J

schamp6497
10-14-2009, 05:10
J, I am seeing some metal collars that come with a shaft for the small block chevy. Is the shaft for the small block chevy the same for 6.5? Thanks.

john8662
10-14-2009, 06:09
J, I am seeing some metal collars that come with a shaft for the small block chevy. Is the shaft for the small block chevy the same for 6.5? Thanks.

Not quite sure, just that when looking for the retainer for the oil pump, that was the application I was told. Don't have any SBC stuff around to check for sure.

Robyn
10-14-2009, 07:53
Call some different dealers
The part number is 477249

Somebody should have some on the shelf.
Generally the parts houses give you the deer in the headlights look when you ask about these things

A new pump comes with one but I have yet to find them outside the dealer ?????/

Robyn

jerry598
10-17-2009, 10:22
I ordered a retainer/collar from NAPA that was supposed to fit both small and big block chevy gassers. It did not match the old one from my 6.5. Tryed to fit the thing but no luck, it would not retain the shaft.

My old one was cracked down the side for sure, and when I went to pull it off the pump it shattered.

Other than to retain the shaft in the pump when the pump drive gear is removed, it must have no other purpose. It really looks like the engine can get along without it.

One final question, which end of the pump shaft goes to the pump and which end to the drive gear? Didn't pay attention to which way it came out when I disassembled it. It appears that the shaft end that has little nubbins sticking out goes to the gear drive and the other end goes to the pump.

jerry598
10-21-2009, 13:39
My GM dealer says the oil pump shaft retainer collar for the 6.5 has been discontinued. He said he could shop around and probably find one but it might take awhile. Since the small block gas engine retainer does not work (there is no collar on it to grasp the shaft groove) I'm just going to forge ahead without one.

Robyn
10-21-2009, 16:27
Dont assemble the thing without the retainer.

PM me your name and address and I will send you a new one.

These have been dsicontinued but my dealer found a package of 20 at a GM warehouse in Michigan and I got them coming.

I have some spares at home.

I will drop it in a little flat rate box for you.

The end of the shaft that has the little goove goes to the pump and the retainer snaps into the groove.

Robyn

schamp6497
10-21-2009, 18:20
Robyn, seems I have ordered the wrong one as well. I bought a short block chevy one off of ebay. I would love to buy one of the twenty collars if you will sell one. Thanks. Spencer

mkhagemann
10-27-2009, 08:55
6.5 uses a hex drive similar to Ford 351 windsor, small block and BB chevy has large screw driver slot. plastic collar prevents the oil pump drive shaft from falling out when distributor (oil pump drive in a 6.5) is removed. The collar is supplied with new Melling pumps, but is not needed as long as the oil pump drive is not removed other then during rebuilds.