PDA

View Full Version : oil pump

grvrjr
10-13-2009, 05:02
How can u tell if the oil pump needs replacing? Should it be changed at certain intervals?

john8662
10-13-2009, 06:49
No change interval, they're intended to last throughout the duration of the engine's life. Although they do fail, on occassion, but usually not completely.

An engine running lower than normal oil pressure, or a sudden change of oil pressure from what the engine normally ran, could indicate and oil pump problem. The lower oil pressure could also indicate a problem elsewhere in the engine.

Please take some time to fill out the signature portion of your profile, this will give you a space to tell us a little bit more about the truck you own.

grvrjr
10-13-2009, 15:44
my bad about the signature.

winemaker
10-20-2009, 08:56
Yesterday my check gauges light came on and coincides with a drop of oil pressure: almost none at idle and only maybe 150 under load instead of a normal 275.

I know I go through a liter or 2 between changes and I was due for a change so I went to Mr Lube and had it done, therefore oil fill level and filter are no longer a question. Pressure is still very low.

If it's the oil pump, is that in the pan? If so, can it be done in the truck? Yay, I have 4X4, so I imagine the whole front end has to come out to accomplish this.

What else are the possible issues causing oil pressure drop? Would a code scanner help?

Thanks all!
Brett

winemaker
10-20-2009, 08:59
Also, this is my daily driver; how I get my kids to daycare everyday, etc...

I assume low oil pressure will inevitably lead to catastrophic engine failure?!

By the way, my engine temp has remained normal (low).

Thanks again
Brett

JohnC
10-20-2009, 09:18
More likely the sender. Get a known good gauge on it.

winemaker
10-20-2009, 21:24
Sorry for the hassle, but could you describe the procedure for me please? Thanks!
Brett