PDA

View Full Version : Blowing gauge fuse

JD4755
10-09-2009, 21:43
Hopped in tonight, started it up and hit the headlights, and the headlight buzzer stayed on, and the gauge fuse blew. Un plugged the buzzer and replace fuse, same thing. Anyone help? Figure its a bare wire rubbing around but thought I might check here before i tear into it! thanks

DmaxMaverick
10-09-2009, 21:50
Check your headlamp switch. If the connector appears burned, melted or distorted, that's probably it. If it is really bad, the harness connector can be had with the switch. Requires some splicing, though. Be careful removing it, they can be very brittle after all these years.

JD4755
10-10-2009, 08:22
The connector and switch look ok- i unhooked them and tried again, everything will work for a few seconds then it will pop again-- it seems as the gauge fuse is also tied into the glow plugs?? I cant hear them cycle after the gauge fuse blows.. thanks

DmaxMaverick
10-10-2009, 08:55
The only circuit that crosses the gages and GP's is the GP lamp in the IPC. You have some stray voltage getting in, somewhere. If you have a short feeding back to the GP circuit (not necessarily a short to ground), the blown fuse seems likely. I don't have a 1994 diagram available (have a 95, which is different), which is what you'll need to chase it. If you don't already have it, a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com could be immensely helpful. It will include complete diagrams, connector/harness description, and diagnostic steps for the IPC and GP circuits.

JD4755
10-15-2009, 21:38
I was too busy haying to take a look so i took it to a shop, he found it.. it was the fuel heater, he un plugged it and everything is fine.. waiting for new parts and she'll be good as new. Thanks for your help