PDA

View Full Version : confused torque converter?

lb7lbz
09-18-2009, 09:41
ever since i had the tranny rebuilt in my 01 it has acted funny when u really get on it. it cuts out and the rpms jump up it may do this a few times before it shifts.the problem seems worse in tow haul mode. if u are driving normally(under 3/4 throttle it shifts awesome. from what i have read on here it seems like the converter is locking and unlocking. what controls this and how can i verify this?

DmaxMaverick
09-18-2009, 18:00
The TC is controlled by the TCM. It will declutch and the PCM defuels during shifts. This may seem like a long, slipping shift (but it really isn't). If it eventually locks up, it's probably OK.

If you had the TCM adaptive learn reset at the time of rebuild, it takes a bit of driving for it to adjust. If it wasn't reset, it should be, or it has to unlearn, then relearn the new tranny parameters, and your new driving habit. All this will be greatly exaggerated if you are using an electronic power mod.

lb7lbz
09-27-2009, 12:31
do u need a tech 2 to relearn the tranny? i tried unhooking both batteries and that didnt help. i've put 10k on the tranny since the rebuild so it should have learned by now. something is obviously not right when u are really on it. when i first had it rebuilt i didnt run my banks or my pred. and it did the same thing.

DmaxMaverick
09-27-2009, 12:48
10K later, it isn't the adaptive learn feature. The TCM parameters are stored in NVRAM, so disconnecting the batteries won't do anything for it. A Tech II is needed.

There are several TCM updates available for 2001. If you don't have them, get them. None of the updates are a negative, IMO. Dealer should able to do it in less than 30 minutes. This will refresh the TCM programming, and apply all the current updates. Highly recommended.

If an update doesn't help, your tranny has mechanical/hydraulic issues. Something your rebuilder should address.