PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this truck? Blown engine

Lonesome7.3
09-14-2009, 14:28
The truck is a 94 GMC 3500 two wheel drive dually and has a bad 6.2 in it. It is advertised for $800 like it sits. I can get a good engine for around $1200 including the fuel it will take me to go get it. A friend of mine who is a body man owes me some money so he will paint it for me. I think I can get the correct bumper pretty cheap. All in all I think I can make this a nice truck all for under $2000. I have no money to spend right now, but I might be able to trade some stuff off. What would a truck like this with a good running engine and good paint job sell for? I am wondering if it will be a good deal by the time I am done working and spending on it. Oh, and the interior looks good. I could not get better photographs because it was locked. I will be meeting with the owner soon and can provide interior and engine bay pictures then.

Lonesome7.3
09-14-2009, 14:29
Again, this site would not allow me to post photographs. I resized them and it still did not work. I am not having this problem with other sites I am on.

john8662
09-14-2009, 14:56
1994 Dually would have to be a 6.5 Turbo, so keep that in mind when finding a replacement engine to place in the Dually.

I'm in that same boat, except I've got a 1996 K3500 CC Dually, engine was completly pooched, still trying to get something scrounged up without spending too much.

800 bucks ain't bad though, I paid twice that for the 1996.

How large is the image you're trying to upload?

Another option woul db eto use the "Photo Album" link in the blue bar above and upload the pictures to your own photo album. Once uploaded, you can open the images and copy the source link and post it here, then we'd be able to see it.

J

Lonesome7.3
09-14-2009, 15:26
I might be mistaken on the year. Over the phone the owner told he it had a 6.2.

Why can I not just attach them like I use to?

Lonesome7.3
09-14-2009, 15:54
I made them even smaller.

93GMCSierra
09-14-2009, 16:00
From the looks of the truck I would say its been diesel converted which is why it may have a 6.2 in it.

Lonesome7.3
09-14-2009, 16:04
I knew the bumper was wrong, but I did not think about it being converted.

Mikey von
09-14-2009, 17:40
From the looks of the truck I would say its been diesel converted which is why it may have a 6.2 in it.

just curious, but from the outside, what is different between a 1 ton diesel and a 1 ton gasser????

Mikey von
09-14-2009, 17:44
I would offer him $400-500 a see what he says. I would not go much above that unless the interior was tits.

What ever year it is it is the post '87 ('91 for CC and Suburbans, may be true from 1 tons) and will accept the 6.5l turbo. The old body style trucks need a slightly different turbo manifold than the 6.5l stuff to fit without mods.

Lonesome7.3
09-14-2009, 18:02
The only difference I know is the bumper.

The interior looks really good through the window. The seats have covers over them though. $500 is what I was thinking.

BobQ
09-14-2009, 21:33
Is the guy absolutely sure that it's a '94? It doesn't have the newer-style grill, which came out in '94. It looks like it may be a late '93. If I remember correctly, the 6.2L-equipped trucks in that era did not use the front bumper with the holes like the turbo 6.5L's did. Take a look at the rear of the cab and see if it has the high-mounted brake light above the rear window. If it does, then it probably is a '94 (may be it has been wrecked and has an older grill); if not, then I'd say it's a '93 with possibly the original 6.2L. Just my .02.

93GMCSierra
09-14-2009, 22:57
just curious, but from the outside, what is different between a 1 ton diesel and a 1 ton gasser????

I could be wrong but didnt the hood have a higher center piece? On both my 93 and the 97 it has 6.5 turbo written and the gas trucks I have seen do not have a high enough cowl area?

Lonesome7.3
09-15-2009, 05:00
Thanks. Those ideas will help me. I am not well versed in Chevys, but I am trying to learn.

john8662
09-15-2009, 06:06
It's either a 92 or 93, didn't have a bumper with the holes, it's not a turbo model. It's probably a 6.2 as previously mentioned, it's impossible for it to be a 1994, unless equipment has been swapped out.

Body is kind of rough IMHO, bumper, core support is bent/tweaked, front RT fender waffled.

Lonesome7.3
09-15-2009, 06:33
There is also a dent in the extended cab and some damage on the dually flares. Plus, the bed rail itself it damaged. To me, it is minor stuff though.

trbankii
09-15-2009, 06:49
My '93 doesn't have the holes in the bumper but does have the 6.5TD. I always assumed that the bumper was swapped at some point, but perhaps not if others are saying the '93s didn't have the holes?

The paint on it is better than mine... :rolleyes: But it does look rippled back the driver's side - front corner and rear door, can't quite see but looks like the bed too? (just re-read and saw you mentioned the dually flares)

As for making money on fixing it up, I think it might end up being close even if you got it for the $400 to $500 range. Add in $1200 for the engine and money for body parts to straighten things out and you're probably talking $2500 at least. How many miles are on it?

You may be able to make some money on it, but when you figure in time and effort it may be a wash - unless you have time and nothing else to do... I'd say it was a good contender to fix up for yourself but may not be worth the trouble to try to flip. KBB value in Columbus, GA shows about $3600 for good condition and 150,000 miles. I didn't have details, so maybe up that if you have some more of the options. Plug the info that you have in over at www.kbb.org to see what you can come up with.

JohnC
09-15-2009, 07:28
My '93 6.5 definitely came with the bumper with the holes.

Lonesome7.3
09-15-2009, 08:05
I am not trying to flip it or make money on it. I never said that was my intention. I want to know if it is worth it for me to buy and repair. We need a low budget truck that will fit our needs. If this truck sells for less than what I would spend getting it back on the road, I will not bother. Flipping it is not what I had in mind, but I do want to at least sell it for what I have in it when we no longer need it.

trbankii
09-15-2009, 09:04
Ah, I misunderstood. When you were asking what it would sell for after you were done working on it I figured you meant you were looking to make some money fixing it up.

I'd say it was a decent purchase then and that you'd likely be able to break even when you sold it.

Lonesome7.3
09-15-2009, 10:56
That is all I want out of it. I know I will have normal maintainence while we are using it. But losing money is not somehting I will accept. Right now we are working out how we are going to get it.