PDA

View Full Version : Which scanner to buy?

Luis
08-30-2009, 13:54
OK I know this has been asked before and there are many answers that still confuse me, so I'll ask again...I would like to buy a scanner that will work on both OBD1 and OBD2 to include my 01 Duramax...Oh...and doesn't cost a lot of money...any suggestions? I;d like the pro's and con's as well...Thanks:confused:

Mark Rinker
08-30-2009, 14:20
Inexpensive? Try a used one on Ebay or Craigslist.

Diablo Predator tuners can also read and reset codes for your '01 (LB7) Duramax - a nice combination with 4 levels of performance tuning.

DmaxMaverick
08-30-2009, 19:07
There's no simple answer to your question. Actron offers scanners capable of OBD I and II, but they only read DTC's. Nice, if that's what you need, and for about $200 you can get a fully functional scanner (minus the vehicle specific adapters). Unfortunately, the OBD I code reading is brand, and sometimes vehicle, specific, so you'll need an adapter for each vehicle. Otherwise, you'll have to get your hands on a Tech II, or a tool manufacturer clone (Snap-On, Mac, etc.). Ebay is a good place to start. No matter how you do it, it ain't gonna be "cheap".