PDA

View Full Version : Wont start

HillBilly2
08-29-2009, 12:16
Just went out to start the suburban and no luck. The glow plug lamp does not come on, which is obviously the problem. Is there a fuse somewhere or is this a shot controller? Where is the controller located on the late model 6.2's anyway?

Thanks!

engineeradam
08-29-2009, 18:31
There are series of tests that will tell you whats wrong, and I ve done them, I don't remember them, but every test has two outcomes and at the very end of the chain is the controller/ relay. They arent cheap 130$ comes to mind. The controller is located up in behind the air intake on the driver side. It has two main wires running to it, then a plug with something like six wires on the back. But if they quit all of a sudden, I found on my 6.2 there is a plug/sensor on the coolant crossover at the front of the motor that affects the glowplug and mine was faulty and unplugging it and plugging it back in solved the problem. Good Luck,

Robyn
08-29-2009, 19:50
The glow plug controler is located on the upper side to the rear of the LH cyinder head.

The two studs that hold the water passage cover plates are what it mounts too.

I dont think that the 90's still used a glow plug inhibit switch BUT
These were located on the rear top of the RH head and screwed into the blockoff plate over the water passage.

If there is a temp switch there, unplug it and see if you have continuity through the switch when cold. If not just make a jumper wire with two spades and connect to the terminals in the harness plug.

If there is not an inhibit switch then its likely the Controler.

Napa stores sell these.

Thw controlers can and do go away.

Unhook the batteries while you do the swap.

Keep us posted

Missy

HillBilly2
08-30-2009, 20:45
Thanks everyone, a new controller and it starts just fine.

Robyn
08-31-2009, 07:15
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

Love it when a plan
comes together

Glad we could help

Missy Robyn